Funk pride at Boro fans

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic boss Rudy Funk has paid tribute to the fans who made the long trip south to support the club in Saturday’s FA Trophy clash at AFC Telford United.

Approximately 180 Boro supporters took their place in the away end at The Bucks Head Stadium and for large parts of the game the travelling contingent generated sufficient noise to drown out the home faithful.

Funk said: “Our fans were brilliant today and did the club proud.

“To turn out in such numbers and make so much noise and support the lads was unbelievable.

“The atmosphere that they created in the ground before we even kicked a ball was incredible.

“That kind of atmosphere, in a stadium like this, on a big occasion, is where this club and these supporters deserve to be week-in-week-out.”

Although disappointed by the manner of the defeat, Funk was not too disheartened by the result. He instead chose to focus on how this fixture demonstrates the progress Boro have made in the last few seasons.

He added: “I said to the players in the changing room after the game that they have to remember that we have come a long, long way since I first arrived at the club.

“If you had said to me when I first took the reins here that in a couple of years time you will be playing against Telford in this fantastic stadium I probably would have laughed at you.

“This is a marker of the progress we have made. This club has come so far, but the result shows that we aren’t quite ready for this level of football just yet so we have to keep working hard to get there.”

Despite the scoreline, Funk found a number of positives in his side’s display.

He continued: “We knew it would be difficult and that we would have to come and work hard and just try and play our own game when we had the chance.

“We moved the ball around as well as we could and to be honest, it looked like we were the better footballing side in the first half, even after going behind to the penalty.I was surprised by Telford’s style of play and how many long balls they played into our box.

“I think we were keeping to the game plan and it was working until the penalty.

“I can’t see where the referee is coming from with that decision, I really cannot explain it.

“Conceding just one minute before half-time really hurt us and I believe if we could have gone in at the break at 1-0 then things could have worked out differently.

“In the second half the difference in class showed and I can’t really argue that Telford did not deserve to win the game.”