Gallagher strike edges Newlands to final win

Jamie Gallagher’s low volley secured a 1-0 win for Newlands against a determined Itis Itis in Thursday night’s Scarborough and District FA Sunday Cup final at Queensgate.

After losing out 3-1 in their previous final, the Senior Cup, to West Pier despite dominating, tonight’s game was a stark contrast which was a very even affair, which was testament to the efforts of Matty Miller’s second division outfit.

Newlands celebrate beating Itis Itis in the Scarborough FA Sunday Cup final

Newlands celebrate beating Itis Itis in the Scarborough FA Sunday Cup final

With manager Joe Hakings unable to take charge of the top-flight side, club stalwart Hughie Brown and ex-Burniston boss Geoff Delve took the reins for the cup final.

Brown said after the final: “I think we were very quiet tonight, you have to give Itis Itis credit for that as they certainly looked like a first division out there tonight.

“They hit the post twice in the last 10 minutes or so and they deserved to get something out of the game.”

Brown added: “Jamie Gallagher played well for us and took his goal very well, but we now face another difficult test in Sunday’s Kenward Cup final against Klosters, which will be a very different type of game.

Itis Itis keeper Tom Hicks saves from Stefan Moon

Itis Itis keeper Tom Hicks saves from Stefan Moon

“Although Geoff and I were in charge for this game, the credit must go to the boss Joe Hakings as he puts in a massive amount of time and effort into this football club and it is paying off.”

Although Gallagher and Kristian Johnson both went the closest early on for the first division side, Itis Itis did not seem overawed and they were inches away from opening the scoring in the 24th minute when sole striker Gav Wood was released by an exquisite pass by JP Watson and the forward’s shot beat Newlands keeper George Elliott but also rolled narrowly wide of the far post.

Gallagher hooked a shot over the bar four minutes later, and then Stefan Moon missed a golden chance to put Newlands ahead, failing to control the ball when attempting to collect a cross when only four yards from goal with only Itis Itis keeper Tom Hicks to beat.

Luke Chambers then headed over a good chance for the second division side from a Mark Oldroyd free-kick, then Luke Delve shot over the bar after fine work from Gallagher on the left flank.

Newlands skipper Jack Hakings collects the Sunday FA Cup

Newlands skipper Jack Hakings collects the Sunday FA Cup

In the closing moments of the first half, Newlands hit the woodwork twice, the first a deflected shot by winger Chris Hannam which looped onto the bar and a powerful Delve shot which hit the underside of the bar and bounced on the line, Moon failing to put away a diffult rebound chance.

Early in the sedcond half, Itis Itis played some great football to create an opening for Elliot Sill, but his mis-hit effort sailed high and wide of the target.

Miller made a double substitution just after the hour mark, Paul Oldroyd and Paul O’Neill adding some attacking threat for Itis Itis, replacing defender Jamie Williams and Luke Chambers.

Paul Oldroyd hit a long-range effort wide as the final began to hot up, and the crucial goal came just minutes later, Gallagher firing in a low volley past Hicks from 15 yards, after some fine work from Mike Wilson, who harried and hassled left-back Lloyd Henderson into conceding possession and then crossed the ball over to the impressive Gallagher.

Itis Itis then piled on the pressure as Newlands seemed to sit back, with Wood and O’Neill both hitting the post with shots, but the first division side hung on for the win.

Newlands: George Elliott; Jack Hakings (captain), Jordan Mintoft, Kile Fields, Sam Cooper; Jamie Gallagher, Kristian Johnson, Mike Wilson (Leigh Watson 75), Chris Hannam (Lee Cappleman 54); Luke Delve, Stefan Moon (Stu Bates 82).

Itis Itis: Tom Hicks; Lloyd Henderson, Matty Hobson, Carl Marton, Jamie Williams (Oldroyd 62); Elliot Spurr, Mark Oldroyd, JP Watson, Elliot Sill (Dan Thomas 69), Luke Chambers (O’Neill 62); Gav Wood.

Referee: Andy Wood. Assistants Damian O’Leary and Bill Pashby. Fourth official Perrie Bunton.