Glendinning hat-trick fires Newlands to Kenward Cup final win

Newlands celebrate winning the Kenward Cup final against Ayton
Newlands celebrate winning the Kenward Cup final against Ayton

Three second-half goals from Danny Glendinning steered Sunday League champions to a hard-earned 5-2 Kenward Cup final win against Ayton at a windswept Seamer this afternoon.

Ayton twice came back to level in the first half, on each occasion within a minute of going behind, but eventually the league champions' extra strength and fitness told as they pulled clear in the final 20 minutes of the final.

Newlands took the lead after only three minutes, Daniel Freer scoring at the far post, but almost straight from the restart Jonny Blakeston seized upon hesitancy in the Newlands defence and used his pace to beat the Newlands keeper Martin Cappleman and slot the ball into the net.

This came at a cost as lone striker Blakeston had to be helped off the pitch with an injury to his leg, and although he limped back on several minutes later he was clearly suffering from the effects of the collision with Cappleman.

On 13 minutes Blakeston had a great chance in a one-on-one with Cappleman, but on this occasion the Newlands gloveman got down well to save his effort.

Just before the half-hour mark the impressive Martin Atkinson fired a shot into the sidenetting after a great move down the left wing for Ayton.

From the resulting goal-kick Newlands went up the other end and earned a penalty when Ben Luntley was fouled, Drew McCoubrey firing his penalty straight down the middle and into the net.

Once again Newlands failed to hang onto their lead as the persistent villagers levelled, this time Tom Duckworth, who also had a fine game playing behind Blakeston alongside Atkinson, forced the ball home after a corner was flicked onto him by defender Brad Parkin.

Freer had a fine chance to restore Newlands' lead with a header but his effort at the far post went wide, then Tyson Stubbinngs blasted a good chance over for Ayton.

Blakeston went on another fine run down the left five minutes before half-time, but it came to nothing and seemed to aggravate his leg injury, the forward finally coming off on the hour mark to be replaced by Dan Pickard.

Newlands had done well to defend with the wind against them in the first half and after the interval they had the lion's share of possession and almost went 3-2 up on 48 minutes but Glendinning headed wide when well-placed.

Ayton defender Niall Prentice had to go off with an ankle injury early in the second half, forcing player-boss Mark Plumpton to shuffle his pack and Dempsey Stubbings came in to play at left-sided centre-back.

in a rare Ayton attack in the second half Atkinson worked free of the Newlands defence and squared the ball across the goalmouth but no-one was there to force the ball in and this proved to be a crucial moment in the game as a few minutes later Glendinning forced the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

Glendinning then headed a whipped-in cross from Liam Cooper and then missed another great chance, smacking over the top when one on one with Ayton keeper Stefan Campbell.

The latter then pulled off an outstanding save onto the bar from a swerving cross-shot from McCoubrey, despite the effort looking to have already gone past the custodian.

Benjamin Briggs was shown the only yellow card of the game on 73 minutes for a foul on Tyson Stubbings, three minutes later the game was effectively won by Glendinning's neat turn and shot past Campbell.

Ten minutes later Glendinning completed his hat-trick, forcing the ball home after his initial effort had hit the post.

Newlands boss Joe Hakings said: "The wind did spoil the game somewhat, they worked hard and were looking to get eight men behind the ball and play it long to their striker.

"Ability-wise they are a very good side, they gave us a very good game and it was only in the final 20 minutes or so that we pulled away to win the final. In that final section of the game our extra strength and quality told.

"Jack Ramos was our stand-out player, even when it was close in the first half he was always looking to pass the ball and he worked hard throughout."

Hakings added: "We will now loook to win our other two cup finals and win the lot now, with the Senior Cup final here again against Ayton next Sunday being the next one."

Newlands: Cappleman, Cooper, Fields (Philliskirk 76), Henderson, Briggs, Luntley (Bates 76), Wilson (Manson 77), Ramos, Freer, McCoubrey, Glendinning.

Ayton: Campbell, Prentice (D Stubbings 51), Roebuck, Parkin, T Stubbings, Plumpton, Adams, Appleby, Atkinson, Duckworth (O'Toole 75), Blakeston (Pickard 62). Subs not used: Grayshan, Wilde.