Great escape for Eastfield

EASTFIELD produced a monumental comeback to dump Filey Town out of the Harbour Cup.

Filey produced some stunning football in the first half as they roared into a 4-0 lead through doubles from Gareth Sygrove and Cameron Dobson.

Filey were totally dominant in the first 45 minutes as they pleased a watching crowd of around 100 people.

But Eastfield managed to pull a goal back just before the break through Eric Hall, and after half-time Kev David’s Eastfield were a totally different side as they put Filey under immense pressure.

Matty Drury scrambled home to make it 4-2 before Danny Price smashed in from the edge of the box to make it 4-3.

Price was the man of the moment again for Eastfield as he rocketed their equaliser to make it 4-4, before Jon Ellwood’s header completed a dramatic turnaround and seal a 5-4 win for the visitors.

David said: “Filey played some great stuff in the first half, but we stuck to our task and played well in the second half.

“Gareth Sygrove had a great chance to score at 4-4, he missed and we went on to score the winner. It was a great game though.”

A disappointed Dave Brannan said: “We played some of the best football I have seen since I came back to Filey in the first half today. But we played some of the worst I’ve seen in the second half.

“Not taking anything away from Eastfield as they stuck to their task, but we fell apart in the second-half. We have a young side but we can only use that as an excuse for so long.”

Scalby were beaten 4-0 by an energetic young Fishburn Park side as the division two side shocked their top-flight visitors.

Scalby started reasonably brightly but weren’t able to find the killer ball that split the Park defence open, and they were made to pay for this when Park took the lead after a neat turn and volley.

Scallby were 3-0 down at the break and rallied in the second half but still couldn’t find a way through.

Alex McGovern bagged two for Park, while Jamie Forbes-Walker and man of the match Sam Richardson also scored.

West Pier progressed to round three after they saw off Flixton by a 5-0 scoreline.

Pier were 3-0 up at half time as they dominated proceedings.

Jamie Bradshaw broke the deadlock before Paul Provins netted from the penalty spot after Steve Sheader was sent tumbling in the area.

Mikey Hartnett bagged their third as he slammed home from the edge of the box after a good team move.

Flixton came out battling in the second half and should have pulled one back when Ian Laing went through one-on-one, but Scott Wardman saved well.

Daz Crawford netted the goal of the game as he beat five men before scoring, and Hartnett grabbed his second to seal a comfortable 5-0 win for Pier.

Cayton dumped second division Rillington Athletic out of the competition as they eased to a 4-0 win.

Mikey Dennis bagged a brace, as did former Scarborough FC youngster Matty Perry, as Shaun Rennison’s charges eased through.

Edgehill also had a comfortable afternoon as they brushed aside the challenge of Sherburn.

Luke Jenkinson put Edgehill 1-0 up before Ricky Nock scored a rare goal to make it 2-0.

A Dave Bell hat-trick and goals from Ryan Jackson (2), Shaun Dodson and a magical strike from Keith Skelton sealed a 9-0 win.

Seamer returned from Thornton-le-Dale with a safe passage to the next stage of the competition, after goals from Craig Love and 16-year-old Ali Caw saw Matty Dawson’s men come back from 1-0 down to seal the 2-1 win on a difficult playing surface.

Andy Charlton was in top form for Dawson’s men.

Ayton dumped Hunmanby United out of the cup with a convincing 3-0 win.

Ayton took the lead when Howard Carter scrambled home from close range.

Ayton had chances to further their lead but had to settle for a 1-0 lead at the interval after hitting the woodwork twice and having a goal disallowed.

But Chris McNeil soon added to their tally when he netted with a close-range effort.

Ayton’s dominance was rewarded with another goal as sub Danny Stevens found the top corner with a half-volley after a corner found its way to him.

Ayton boss Tony Ross was delighted with his team’s effort, in particular that of Carter, who led the line superbly.