Hackworth and Adams push Boro to Heanor win

Ryan Blott's header hits the Heanor bar    Pictures by James Hunter
Ryan Blott's header hits the Heanor bar Pictures by James Hunter

Scarborough Athletic remain perched nicely in the NCEL Premier title push after Saturday’s 4-0 cruise against Heanor Town.

Two goals each for Tommy Adams and Tony Hackworth proved to be more than enough for Boro as they systematically picked apart an adventurous Heanor side.

Adams’ sizzling first after just seven minutes proved to be the apperitif for a real feast of attacking football.

The midfielder powered his way onto a scramble 20 yards from goal and unleashed a shot that looped up from the shin of a defender and nestled in the back of the net.

It wasn’t all Boro in the first minutes though, as Wilson’s clean-sheet was threatened by a splurge of Heanor attacks.

The hosts were clearly in control though, concocting a plethora of opportunities, the first seeing defender Andy Milne’s shot saved by Heanor custodian Simon Lillie.

Striker Ryan Blott almost went one better when he met a James Bennett cross, but his header clattered against the top of the bar.

Blott’s former Boro strike-partner Ant Lynam was presented with a chance to peg back his old club when Heanor were awarded a soft free-kick on the edge of the box.

Lynam had clearly left his shooting boots on the coach though, as his drive was more of a threat to to chip shop over the road than Wilson’s goal.

Quality finishing has become a firm part of Boro’s game this season, and that showed once again just a few minutes before the break.

Pete Davidson’s delightful far-post cross was flicked back into the danger zone by Paddy Miller. Tony Hackworth was on his toes to nod past a stranded Lillie.

Top-scorer Blott almost added his customary goal seconds before the half ended when he shuddered the woodwork for a second time with a neat flicked header.

There was no let-up when the whistle tooted for the start of the new period, with an Adams flick and a Matty Plummer shot both being held by Lillie.

The Heanor keeper then made another superb stop after Blott wriggled onto a Hackworth ball.

From the resulting corner a second Adams flick proved to be too much for Lillie and the ball skewed over the line.

Boro were stung by two injury blows in the moments that followed, as Denny Ingram had to be replaced by Dave Kemp after a nasty bow to the ribs.

Kemp also had to make way soon after for Gaz Clayton when he suffered a knock to the head.

As Boro reshuffled, the previously redundant Wilson in the home goal, has to snap into life.

He held a powerful drive from Ian Clarke and then grasped a Jason Foster save following a minor blip in the Boro defence’s flawless afternoon.

A lull followed, before Boro did launch a final flurry that guided them further clear of their rivals.

More clever approach play from Hackworth sliced open the Heanor defence with five minutes remaining and Bennett’s shot smashed against the foot of the post.

Boro did polish off the scoring in the final few seconds, when Blott demonstrated his creative side and Hackworth crashed home off the underside of the bar.