Holders Itis Itis sink Edgehill to book North Riding Cup final spot

NRCFA Saturday Challenge Cup holders Itis Itis Rovers defeated visitors Edgehill 2-0 in their semi-final clash to secure their place in the final.

Monday, 9th March 2020, 9:17 am
Updated Monday, 9th March 2020, 12:59 pm
Saturday football

Rovers were under the cosh for about 25 minutes as their Scarborough Saturday League Division One title rivals Edgehill put them under sustained pressure.

Itis itis boss Jordan Lee said: "If it wasn't for two world class saves from Ben Rowe it would have been a completely different game.

"We knew we could cause them trouble on the break with our pace so that's what we tried to do."

Itis Itis' Josh Young clears this Edgehill effort off the line PHOTOS BY ALEC COULSON

This tactic reaped its reward with Sam Pickard sliding in to finish from close range to make it 1-0.

Lee added: "We grew into the game after that with Jack Ramos hitting the crossbar shortly after. It was 1-0 at half-time and the lads came out with the right attitude for the second half."

Ramos hit the bar again after some clever play from Mike Barker, then the hosts made it 2-0 with 15 minutes to go through an own goal from Frank Belt.

Lee said: "We were outstanding second half and didn't let Edgehill play, Edgehill tried and tried but it wasn't their day.

Rovers' goalscorer Sam Pickard beats Jamie Patterson to a header PHOTOS BY ALEC COULSON

"I can't single out a man of the match to be honest. Every single one of them gave everything they had in an outstanding effort from all of the lads.

"I couldn't be any prouder of them."

Edgehill chief Steven Clegg added: "We were the better team in the first 15 minutes as they cleared one off the line and their keeper made two brilliant saves.

"They scored against the run of play and they were much the better team after that and deserved their win and good luck to them in the final.

Edgehill skipper Joe Gallagher holds off Itis Itis' Curtis Rose PHOTOS BY ALEC COULSON

"I thought Curt Rose and Jordan Oliver were the men of the match for them and Ricky Nock for us."

Hunmanby United booked their place in the semi-finals of the ERCFA Senior Country Cup after battling back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at home to HPL Division One side Easington United.

The hosts led 2-0 at half-time, but nine minutes after the interval Lalan Flynn’s corner clipped the Easington bar and home keeper Steve Janney denied Olly Milner from a one-on-one.

Taylor Jordan pulled a goal back on 68 minutes to spark the comeback. Two minutes later another Flynn corner eluded Janney and dropped in at the far post, and moments later United's star man Jordan pounced for his second to secure the win.

Edgehill's Ryan Link makes a sliding challenge on Itis Itis' Jordan Oliver PHOTOS BY ALEC COULSON

Newlands cruised to a 12-0 win at a depleted Ayton to boost their Saturday League Division One title challenge.

Liam Salt led the way with five goals, while Chris McAuley hit a hat-trick and braces from Jack Hakings and Dan Freer sealed the comfortable win.

Player-boss Paddy Mancrief was named as man of the match as stand-in goalkeeper, pulling off some fine saves, and star man for a weakened home side was keeper Luke Calvert, who saved his side from an even heavier defeat.

West Pier also remain in the title race with an 8-0 home win against Filey Town.

Pier were three-nil up by half-time, Martin Cooper scoring two cracking long-range strikes and player-boss Will Jenkinson notching the other goal.

In the second half Pier played some good football and dominated proceedings with Cooper completing his hat-trick.

Captain Sam Garnett also finished nicely and three excellent finishes from top scorer Simon Reeves wrapped up the scoring.

For Pier there were good displays, with young right-back Jayden Rodgerson and first-team debutant Brandon Catherall impressing, with Cooper the man of the match.

Seamer earned a 3-0 win at Scalby.

Alex Sheader scored from his own half, then Danny Glendinning got two more to seal the win.

The man of the match for Seamer was Dean Craig in a cracking all-round team effort from the victors, while Brad Smith was named as the Scalby star man for a strong display in the centre of midfield.

Cayton Athletic secured a 5-1 home win against Goal Sports.

Bruno Delgado put the away side in front from a setpiece, John Bateman levelled on his Cayton debut, heading in from a corner.

Another debutant, Aidan Thomas, then set up Freddie Schmuck to put the hosts 2-1 ahead,

Adam Stewart then put Ryan Somers through who delicately lobbed home from 25 yards, and Thomas made it 4-1 firing in from the edge of the area before a second Somers goal completed the scoring.

Man of the match for Cayton was Somers, while Jordan Hookem was named as star man for Goal Sports.

Scalby Reserves romped to a 7-0 win against Eastfield Athletic at a windy Oliver's Mount.

Sam Foy opened the scoring, slotting in George Wilson pass, and it was 4-0 at half-time thanks to an own goal, Josh Scott tap-in and George Wilson penalty.

In the second half Scott Wilson notched from a narrow angle, then George Wilson got another before he set up Scott for his second.

Scalby player-boss Jez Clifford said: "In a great all-round performance it was hard to pick a man of the match but Josh Scott had a great game at left-back and George Wilson drove through midfield."

Man of the match for the home side was Adam Martin with Theo James also working hard in midfield.

Snainton claimed a 2-1 win at Eastfield Town thanks to goals from Liam Mintoft and Rob Ruston.