Holders Trafalgar sink rivals Angel to book semi-final berth

Senior Cup holders Trafalgar won 4-3 at top-flight rivals Angel to secure a home semi-final against West Pier.

Monday, 9th March 2020, 9:42 am
Sunday football

Traf, playing with the wind behind them, started on the front foot against a depleted Angel and took the lead through Danny Glendinning, who finished well from eight yards after a one-on-one with Angel keeper Scott Wardman.

The visitors doubled their lead from the spot, good work from Joel Ramm saw him brought down by Kurt Williamson, Glendinning slotting home well.

Angel responded from a Martin Cooper corner as central midfielder Neil Thomas lost his marker, Jamie Patterson, to score at the back post.

Williamson missed a chance to level the scores when he shot wide and then Traf restored their two-goal cushion when Ramm was fouled 25 yards out, he stepped up to smash the free-kick past Wardman.

Angel made some tactical changes at the break and brought on Ben Mason to play up front as Angel looked to take advantage of the strong wind being at their backs.

Traf seemed comfortable playing into the wind though as Ramm crossed for Glendinning to complete his hat-trick.

The visitors then made some changes, and with 25 minutes left Angel edged back into it with a Mason effort, then a minute from time George Walmsley notched after more fine work from Cooper, but it came too late to save the hosts from defeat.

Kieran Link and Curt Rose did well for Traf with Ramm the man of match, Thomas was man of the match for Angel, with boss Dan Jones proud of the efforts of his weakened team.

In the other quarter-final, Newlands earned a 3-1 win at Cayton Corinthians to set up a semi-final at home to Valley.

Cayton started strongly, but Newlands opened the scoring through a cheeky backheel from Zac Hansen.

The visitors doubled their lead shortly afterwards when Ben Luntley gained possession on the halfway line and beat a few Cayton defenders before a great finish from inside the penalty area.

Cayton dug deep to stay in the game and after the break they halved the deficit with a Leeroy Donaldson header from Tyler Beck's long throw.

The hosts kept pushing for a leveller but Newlands restored their two-goal lead with a neat finish by Hansen from an acute angle.

Newlands boss Dan Sheader said: "We had a few players missing today so the lads that came in did a good job.

"Liam Mintoft was named man of the match for a great game in the middle of the park."

Cayton chief Steven Frederiksen added: "Credit to my players who battled for 90 minutes. Leeroy Donaldson and Aaron Armstrong were excellent at centre-back for Cayton and Ciaran Moss also played well at both right-back and left midfield."

Valley maintained their Sunday League Division One title challenge with a 6-3 win at West Pier.

The game started in ideal fashion for the visitors as Harry Ward was brought down on the edge of the area and then proceeded to bend the resulting free-kick into the top corner to make it 1-0 Valley after only minutes.

Rafal Jackow then netted his first goal when he dispossessed the Pier centre-back and finished neatly.

Pier then got a goal back before Ward scored a sublime effort from 20 yards and then another poacher's effort to make it 4-1 to the away team at the break.

In the second half Valley played the first 10 minutes with 10 men after Ward was sin-binned, Pier capitalised and scored to make it 4-2.

Ward came back on and slid a ball across for player-manager Ben Kristensen to fire home, then an own goal from Pier made it 6-2, before the hosts got a late third.

Veteran Steve Paxton scored twice for Pier with Luke Delve also on target.

Kristensen said: "We had a straight 11 today and I can't single out anyone out for man of the match as I thought the whole team played incredible and worked until the end."

Division Two leaders Angel Athletic Reserves suffered a dent to their title challenge with a 5-0 loss at rivals Eastfield Athletic.

Jordan Scott's double put Eastfield 2-0 up at the break, then Jack James, Jack South, with a superb chip over the Angel keeper, and Jonny Whitworth adding further goals in the second half.

Eastfield boss Andy Thorpe said: "Man of the match was very hard to give, so it had best go to the whole squad for the best performance of the season."

Roscoes Bar's title push also hit an obstacle as they slipped to a shock 4-2 home loss to Fylingdales.

Sam Collin was on target as Roscoes led 1-0 at the break, but player-boss Simon Forde levelled when he nipped in between a defender and the keeper to touch it past the Roscoes gloveman and slide it into an empty net.

Corey Wilson made it 2-1 to the villagers with a stunning volley from the corner of the box and Mike Coates finished neatly in the box after rounding the keeper to make it 3-1.

Roscoes replied quickly through Collin to make it 3-2 but Sam Russell scored a stunning fourth, shooting from the halfway line right into the top corner to secure the shock win for the away side.

Forde said: "It was a great performance from my lads having turned up with a bare 11.

"Everybody put a shift in and we got what we deserved in the end, Sam Russell was our man of the match."

Saints and Castle Tavern shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

Michael Webster notched for Saints and Ryan Hunter was their man of the match, with Tavern's goal being an own goal.

Man of match for Tavern was shared by centre-back Rob Goforth and keeper Jim Houlder. Tavern did well to hang on for the final 15 minutes with 10 men as sub Luke Page was sent off only two minutes after coming on.