Ice-cool Balderson finish seals final spot

A Luke Balderson strike after 10 minutes was enough to steer Pickering Town under-12s through to the final of the Scarborough FA Cup in an excellent game against Burlington Jackdaws played at the Recreation Ground.

The young Pikes quickly got into their stride and were a constant threat in the early stages of the game, but were unable to find the target until a ball from Thomas Richardson gave Balderson the chance to fire in from close-range.

On a day when defences came out on top there were few clear-cut chances from both teams and despite a few nervy moments in the final minutes as the Jackdaws pushed forward in search of an equaliser, the young Pikes progressed to the final.

It was an excellent game of football with both sides giving their all on a very warm day, producing some excellent individual performances from players of both teams.

The Pikes will play Ayton in the final after they beat Thornton-le-Dale 4-3 after extra time in a seven goal classic.

This would have been a great final, played in front of a crowd of 95 at Ayton on Sunday afternoon.

Tom Fletcher-Varey fired Ayton into the lead with a right-foot shot from 10 yards after 13 minutes, but Harvey D’Alquin equalised for the visitors after 22 minutes.

Jimmy Weldonby scored to put Dale ahead four minutes into the second half.

A second D’Alquin goal 11 minutes later doubled the lead for the visitors, who then had two glorious opportunities to go further ahead but for some poor finishing.

Ten minutes from time Josh Penny pulled a goal back for Ayton with a 12-yard left-foot shot and deep into stoppage-time Bradley Hodgson scored Ayton’s equaliser with a little help from a deflection from a visitors’ defender to force extra time.

Extra-time saw both sides go end to end with a second goal scored by Ayton’s man of the match Fletcher-Varey four minutes into the second period to put his side into next month’s final.

Brooklyn under-12s won 5-1 at Tadcaster Albion.

The visitors started the game well and pushed forward, they were unlucky not to score when a great pass from central midfielder Jake Ullah through to left-winger Luke Scott saw his shot go narrowly wide.

Brooklyn kept creating chances, striker Tom Walsh was denied by the keeper when through on goal, however they eventually took the lead when striker Stephen Kerr laid the ball off to Scott, who shot high into the net.

Kerr was unlucky not to make it 2-0 when his low shot was superbly saved by the home keeper, Brooklyn then had further chances but couldn’t increase their lead.

In the second half Brooklyn continued to push forward, Ullah and Josh Wade dominated midfield winning possession time and time again and when the Tadcaster defence allowed Scott too much time he played a great ball into the box for Walsh to head in number two.

Tadcaster fought back but the back four of Tom Mooring, Joe Tetlow, Ben Nendick and James Allan held firm.

But when a clearance deflected into the path of the home team striker he took his chance well to pull a goal back.

Brooklyn soon restored their two-goal lead when a Scott volley was blocked on the line and the clearance was deflected in for an own goal.

Tadcaster had few chances but keeper Ben Pickering dealt with any threats confidently.

Great play down the right by Oli Farrow and Josh Carter meant Brooklyn kept creating chances. The shot of the game was by Ullah and flew inches wide from 25 yards with the keeper beaten.

Excellent play by Wade, Kerr and Ullah sent Scott free to make it 4-1 and just before the end a Carter corner was headed in at the front post by an Albion player to end the game 5-1.

A great display of football from all the boys, with one of the best performances of the season.

The Senior Minor (under-16s) final will be contested by FC Seamer and Scarborough Athletic, FC Seamer beat Eastfield Sports 7-0 thanks to hat-tricks scored by Mathew Morris and Josh Venner with their other goal scored by Bradley Sykes.

Scarborough Athletic beat Kirkbymoorside 2-0 with Mathew Robinson opening the goalscoring after 15 minutes and Connor Campbell doubled his sides lead midway in the second half.

The Minor (under-14s) semi-finals will be played this Sunday, kick-off 2pm, between Fishburn Park A and West Pier, the second tie will see Goldsborough United entertain Kirkbymoorside.