Igiehon snatches last-gasp point for Boro

Benny Igiehon snatched a late 1-1 draw for Scarborough Athletic on Saturday afternoon to deny Trafford victory at Queensgate.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 4th March 2017, 6:07 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:06 am
Boro report
Boro report

In a game that had a goalless written all over it, things finally came alive in the closing stages when Trafford looked to have nicked the win.

But deep in injury-time, Boro's direct approach was rewarded and they grabbed a deserved share of the spoils.

After showing their appreciation to late chairman Dave Holland and former Scarborough FC winger Steve Adams with a minute's applause, Boro presented both James Cadman and Dominic Roma with home debuts.

Nothing happened until the 10th minute of the fixture when new boy Cadman angled a looping header over visiting keeper Terry Smith, but the ball continued beyond the bar.

Boro possibly had the upper hand as the half unfolded, with raiding full-back Dave Merris dragging a drive from distance just wide of the target.

But, highlight-wise, that was pretty much it until a minute before the interval when relatively redundant Boro keeper Joe Green came charging from his line to nick the ball away from Aaron Burns, who had wriggled free on goal.

There was no real up-turn in the action when the second half began, as the war of attrition continued to rage on.

The deadlock should finally have been broken just before the hour when Trafford wideman Craig Lindfield pierced the home back-line, but, having lobbed over Green, his effort arced on over the bar.

Boro defender Matty Turnbull then importantly rose highest in his own six-yard box minutes later, clearing from under the bar when Trafford's big men were lurking.

Trafford went close again through LIam Brownhill and Lindfield before things swung back down to the end.

Boro huffed and puffed around the visiting box for a good period until they were frustratingly hit by what looked like a sucker punch.

Josh Granite rocked up to poke home a run-of-the-mill set-piece to seeminly seal the win for Trafford.

But rather than giving up, Boro threw the kitchen sink at it, and with just seconds left, they came up trumps.

Turnbull's long ball picked out Cameron Murray, who, after a series of twists and turns, delivered a ball in that would light up the eyes of any striker.

Igiehon was the first to react and stab it beyond Smith, his goal secured what could still be a very vital point as the season moves towards the business end.