Joy of the Rovers: Itis Itis claim Trophy win

Itis Itis Rovers celebrate after winning the Frank White Trophy. Picture Richard Ponter, 161902a
Itis Itis Rovers celebrate after winning the Frank White Trophy. Picture Richard Ponter, 161902a
Share this article

Itis Itis Rovers won the Frank White Trophy when they beat Sherburn 5-1 at Seamer on Bank Holiday Monday.

Luke Jones’ side did the hard work in the first half, easing into a 3-0 lead inside 42 minutes, before closing the game out after the interval.

Sherburn striker Paul Mills holds off Itis Itis' Tom Thornton

Sherburn striker Paul Mills holds off Itis Itis' Tom Thornton

“I think we were the better side from start to finish and I’m buzzing with the result,” Jones said.

“The game was pretty much finished by half-time and although it was hard work against the wind in the second half, I was pleased with how we saw the match out.

“We passed the ball nicely, it suits our game to play on a good, flat pitch, and I think that was evident in the way we scored our fourth goal which came about following some brilliant football.

“There were a lot of good performances, but Ellis Wilson really stood out.”

Luke Jones steals the ball from Sherburn defender Steve Fredriksen

Luke Jones steals the ball from Sherburn defender Steve Fredriksen

After a fairly even start to the game, Rovers grabbed an eighth-minute lead when Curtis Rose climbed highest to flick a long ball into the path of Wilson on the left flank.

The winger cut inside and calmly placed a right-footed shot across Sherburn keeper Jordan Lee and into the far corner of the net.

The next quarter of an hour was fairly uneventful, with neither side able to carve out much by way of clear cut chances, but while Itis Itis were passing the ball around nicely, Sherburn struggled to find their rhythm.

This resulted in a switch from three at the back to a more conventional 4-4-2 formation, but the tactical re-shuffle made little difference as Rovers remained in the ascendancy.

Jones fired a 20-yard free-kick over the bar, Neil Forsyth dragged a shot wide from the edge of the box, and Jack Ramos hit one straight into the arms of Lee before the second goal arrived after 31 minutes.

This time Forsyth found his range, just outside the box, planting a firm side-footed effort into the bottom corner with Lee rooted to the spot.

Sherburn suffered another blow soon after when Rose went in late on Ross Anderson, forcing the right-back to limp off the pitch to be replaced by Stu Pickard. Skipper Rose received a yellow card for his troubles.

Three minutes before the break, Itis Itis struck again when Curtis Rose beat gloveman Lee to Jones’ right-wing corner and nodded home.

Paul Mills almost reduced the arrears just before the interval, but the ball bounced just the wrong side of the post after he followed up when Rovers stopper Matthew Walpole spilled the ball at his feet.

With the wind at their backs in the second period, Sherburn knew that they were still in with a chance, and they produced a much-improved display after the resumption.

They were on top for the opening 15 minutes, and half-time substitute Gary Tyson went close before Mills forced Walpole to tip a well-struck effort around the post.

For all their positive play, it was however Itis Itis who grabbed the game’s all-important next goal, just after the hour-mark.

Some fine interplay between Ramos and Rose saw the ball teed up for the onrushing Jones, close to the penalty spot, and he showed a deft touch to calmly dink the ball over Lee and into the net.

That looked like game over, but just 60 seconds later, the village side pulled a goal back when Sam Rackham fired home.

Harry Walmsley then whipped a long-range free-kick towards the top corner of the Rovers net, but Walpole managed to push it away and the result was put beyond any doubt just moments later.

The ball was cut back from the left byline to Rose, whose initial strike was well parried by the diving Lee, but Sam Broadbent was on hand to sidefoot into an empty net from just a couple of yards out.

The fifth goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Sherburn, but they almost managed to close the gap in the scoreline on a couple of occasions in the closing stages.

First, Lee’s free-kick from near halway was clawed out of the top corner by his opposite number Walpole, and then a mix-up in the Itis Itis back four presented Mills with a golden opportunity to grab a late consolation.

Unfortunately, with just Walpole to beat, Tyson got in the way of his strike partner’s shot, and the chance was gone.

Jones, Rose and Wilson showed some real touches of quality for the victors, while Forsyth kept things ticking over with some tidy passing in the centre of the park.

For Sherburn, Walmsley and Matt Whitehall impressed in a losing cause, but their efforts proved to be in vain.