JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Boro tame Pumas in six-goal thriller

Boro under-14s beat Driffield Pumas 4-2
Boro under-14s beat Driffield Pumas 4-2

Scarborough Athletic under-14s travelled to Driffield Pumas for their latest Hull Boys Sunday Football League encounter.

These two sides have a habit of producing exciting matches, with the reverse fixture earlier in the season finishing in a 3-3 draw, and this time there would also be six goals but Athletic would come out 4-2 winners.

Scalby under-14s finished the season with a perfect 100% record

Scalby under-14s finished the season with a perfect 100% record

Kane Randerson-Wray gave Boro the perfect start on three minutes when his deflected shot made it 1-0.

Despite a poor start, Driffield fought back and Cameron Anderson in the Athletic goal had to be alert to get up high to a lobbed effort and shortly afterwards to stop a near-post strike.

Shortly before half-time Driffield equalised from a quickly-taken corner, with the Pumas striker heading in.

In the second half both sides went for the three points with Anderson leaping like a salmon to keep out one goalbound Driffield effort.

But it was Boro who took the lead when a Zam Deans’ corner wasn’t cleared and George Walmsley pounced to fire a trademark first-time shot into the bottom corner.

On 43 minutes Athletic took control of the game when Walmsley was fouled just outside the box.

Up stepped Lewis McGrath to fire a left-foot curler into the top corner with a goal fit for winning any game.

Driffield weren’t done yet though and kept on coming at Athletic in a determined effort, with George Bramham having to be alert to clear one dangerous attack.

Driffield pulled a goal back with six minutes remaining to set up an exciting finish.

Jake Baldwin, who was excellent throughout, had to then clear a goalbound corner off the Athletic line.

This proved to be a crucial clearance as with time running out a long-ball caught the Driffield defence short and the keeper brought Deans down in the box for a penalty.

Walmsley stepped up to tuck away the clincher from the spot as a cracking game finished 4-2 to Boro, with credit to both sides for an enthralling game.

Scalby under-13s finished the season with an unblemished 100% record after they hammered Eastfield 11-4 in their last game.

Man of the match Owen Lambert was in scintillating form for the Otters as he smashed in four goals.

Jake Reeves also found form as he netted a hat-trick, while Alec Coulson’s side’s other goals came through a Ted Edwards brace and goals from Reuben Staveley and Marcus O’Flanagan.

Eastfield battled hard throughout the game and their goals came through two goals from Josh Smith and a goal apiece from Josh and Sam Henderson.

Coulson was quick to sing the praises of his unbeaten side.

He said: “It has been a pleasure to coach these young lads and to win the league with a 100% record is a well deserved and brilliant achievement.”

Cayton under-12s continued their unbeaten league campaign with a 3-1 away win at Goldsborough.

After an even first 20 minutes it was Cayton who took control with a number of chances spurned until a long-range shot from Mike Cairns flew in off the underside of the bar.

Both keepers were kept busy with Cody Brook handling some tricky shots comfortably.

With both right-back Owen Mansell and right-midfielder Finley Wilson in fine form, Cayton continued to force the game and with the away side putting pressure on the Goldsborough defence, Wilson poked home to make it 2-0 at half-time.

The second half continued in the same vein with Cayton carving out a number of chances with Tom Hutchinson dominating in midfield and Louie Smith looking solid in defence.

Brook making a stunning save to keep the scoreline at 2-0 to Cayton.

A mistake at the back led to Goldsborough grabbing a goal back with time running out to make it a tense finish.

With both sides looking to attack it was Cayton who netted when Wilson turned home a cross from Mattie Roberts to round off a 3-1 victory.

Phoenix Colts under-11s put in a stylish performance against a battling Barrowcliff in an end-of-season contest played out in chilly conditions at Sherburn.

Captained by Cody Wood, the first half saw Phoenix Colts grab an early lead, only for them to then be pegged back by Barrowcliff.

However, this setback proved to spur on Phoenix, who then got into their rhythm, passing the ball nicely and seeing the goals begin to flow.

Silky skills were being demonstrated all over the park with Zach Forster and Harry Mortimer in particular showing their technical ability for the Colts.

The second half followed much the same pattern, with goals flowing, including a great headed goal from Jay Martin from a well-worked Phoenix Colts set-piece.

Despite the constant pressure, Barrowcliff kept going for the full game, never letting their heads drop, with Coby Hepples putting in a brilliant performance in goal.