JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Seamer oust young Otters in all-action encounter

Scalby Otters Under-Nines hosted Seamer FC at a wet and windy Filey Road.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 16th February 2017, 10:08 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 7:40 am
Junior football round-up
Junior football round-up

Both teams contributed to a high quality match played in extremely testing conditions.

The first half was played at a high tempo with both sides creating scoring opportunities.

Lucas Drake’s all-action performance was rewarded with a goal for Scalby midway through the first half.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Seamer battled back and equalised just before half-time.

In the second half Seamer pressed strongly with the wind at their backs and scored their second five minutes from time.

This was an excellent all-round team performance from the Otters, with Oliver Hirstle earning man of the match for his defensive contribution.

Heslerton Under-Nines Buccaneers travelled to Scalby on a wet and cold Sunday morning.

The Buccaneers started and finished well, linking passes together and putting pressure on Scalby.

But no matter how hard the Buccaneers tried they just couldn’t find the back of the net and Scalby were victorious as they finished their chances.

A fantastic effort from both teams, in what testing conditions for football.

Heslerton Under-12s overcame a spirited Barrowcliff to book their place in the cup semi-finals.

Both sides struggled in very wintry conditions, with the only goal of the first half scored by Heslerton winger James Brooke.

Heslerton extended their lead after the break through a header from George Heap, only for Barrowcliff to pull one back immediately.

The visitors were thwarted by superb defensive performances, particularly man of the match Charlie Richardson, before Billy Keogh scored late to seal a 3-1 win.

Scarborough Athletic Under-15s entertained Hull United in their Hull Boys Sunday Football League encounter.

The first half was fairly tight but Athletic had more possession and the better of the few chances at either end.

Cameron Anderson was rarely troubled in the Boro goal.

Lewis McGrath had Boro’s first chance when his free-kick curled narrowly over the crossbar.

Brad Smith then saw his free-kick tipped onto the bar by the Hull keeper and soon afterNathan Vidler’s strike went just wide of the post.

On another Boro raid, Kane Randerson-Wray played in Jaydan Hindle, whose low drive was well saved by the keeper.

As the half drew to a close, a Nathan Parker cross found Nathan Vidler in the Hull box and he was unlucky to see his strike cannon off the upright to safety, leaving the score 0-0 at the half-time whistle.

Hull United enjoyed their best spell of the game immediately after the break and both Boro centre-halves Finlay Marsh and Jake Standing had to make timely interceptions.

The game turned in Boro’s favour eight minutes after the break with a bit of brilliance from Randerson-Wray, who spotted the keeper off his line and from 30 yards out floated one into the top corner to make it 1-0 to Boro.

Athletic were now creating chances with Hull trying to play on the counter-attack.

Their second goal came with seven minutes remaining when Tom Wright fed a now rampant Randerson-Wray, whose low drive from the edge of the box beat the despairing dive of the Hull keeper to make it 2-0.

Two minutes later the scoring was completed when Wright’s shot was parried by the keeper and Hindle followed up to drill home the rebound.