Keeper Cull is spot on as Fisherman’s net derby win

editorial image

Top-flight Whitby Fisherman’s Society were thankful for a last-minute penalty save by keeper Paul Cull in their dramatic 5-3 extra-time Coastal Shellfish League Cup derby win against 10-man second division side Whitby RUFC, while Edgehill, Filey and Duchess moved into the next round.

Cull superbly kept out Paul Jobling’s spot-kick, which was the last kick of the 90 minutes, a successful penalty would have given 10-man RUFC a shock win against their higher division opponents.

Sam Richardson opened the scoring to put the visitors in front, only for Karl Storr to level from the penalty spot after a handball in the home area.

Neil Hart then rifled home his shot to put Fisherman’s ahead, but two minutes into the second half a fine solo run and finish from winger Mikey Kilpatrick brought it back to 2-2.

Ste Mothersdale’s visitors were then reduced to 10 men when defender Dave Welham earned his second caution of the game for a mistimed challenge, then Ian Smith put the hosts in front.

Another cracking goal from the dangerous Kilpatrick brought it back to 3-3 and when Jobling stepped up to take the penalty it looked like 10-man RUFC were set to snatch victory but Cull heroically kept the effort out to take the game to extra-time.

Ryan Braithwaite scored a goal in each half of extra-time to secure their victory.

Fisherman’s boss Mark Storr said: “Every one of the lads played superbly today to help us win this game against a very good RUFC side.”

Mothersdale added: “I was very proud of the way my lads performed against a strong home team, and I would like to wish them good luck for the rest of the competition.”

Edgehill were made to work hard for their 8-3 home win against second division Athletico2B.

Former Edgehill ace Ben David fired the visitors in front, and although the division one title-chasers levelled, Shaun Dodson, another former Edgehill player, restored the lead for the second division team with a great finish, only for the hosts to level again.

Heading into the final half-hour, the score was 4-2 to Edgehill, but their superior fitness paid off as they eased to an 8-3 win.

Ricky Greening smashed in a hat-trick for the hosts, but it was man of the match Robbie Hawkes, who has left Pickering Town and will now play for Edgehill every week, who was their star man as his brace and a sparkling display in a free role sealed their win.

Danny Collins, Daniel Jones and Liam Cooper also scored for Steven Clegg’s team, with Damo Dale heading in the Cats’ third after a great pass from Adam Stockell.

Player-boss Nick David was proud of his Athletico2B side, saying: “Our full team was quality today, and battled and worked hard for each other, with Dave Ledden, Shaun Dodson and Ben David sharing the man of the match award.”

Clegg said: “It was a good game and Athletico made us work hard today, it was only in the final half-hour that our fitness paid off and we pulled clear.

“Hawkes was outstanding for us today, with centre-back Tom Hickin and wing-back Lloyd Henderson also impressing.”

Filey Town eased to a 5-1 win in their derby at Hunmanby United.

Cameron Dobson opened the scoring for Town after only two minutes with a tap-in after fine play from Ricky Tomlinson and Gary Wardell, then a minute later Phil Dickens volleyed in after a good cross from Wardell and a header back across goal by youngster Nathan Vernon.

Dobson scored his second goal of the game 10 minutes before half-time to seal the win, but the visitors then took their foot off the gas for a while.

Vernon’s penalty in the 49th minute booked Filey’s place in the next round, after Wardell had been fouled in the area.

Lee Johnson’s fine finish pulled a goal back for a hard-working United side in the 71st minute, but five minutes later Tomlinson completed the scoring.

Central midfielder John Emmerson was named as the Town man of the match.

Second division Duchess strolled to a 7-0 win at Nigel Trotter’s division three outfit Tennyson.

Veteran Gaz Maw scored four for the visitors and was the deserved winner of the man of the match award, with fellow striker Ian Jenkinson scoring the other two goals for Paul McBean’s team.

Defenders Chris Ryan, Craig Sherwin and Rich Garton also shone for the victors.