Late Boro push seals victory

Scarborough Athletic V Maltby Main match action. 120872. Picture by Dave Kettlewell.'25/02/2012
Scarborough Athletic V Maltby Main match action. 120872. Picture by Dave Kettlewell.'25/02/2012

A LATE Scarborough Athletic charge spared the blushes as lowly Maltby Main were nudged aside in the latter stages at Queensgate.

Rudy Funk’s men were being held comfortably at bay until the last 23 minutes, when the quality of Tony Hackworth, Ryan Blott and Adam Lee shone through.

Boro hadn’t looked like conceding up until that point, but they hadn’t done a deal of threatening against a Maltby side who had conceded 67 goals in the league this season prior to kick off.

The first period took a bit of watching, as Maltby came with a solid game-plan and Boro failed to crack their defensive style.

The lively Blott saw his swirling free-kick saved and Lee’s attempt was smothered by keeper Scott Thompson following a neat build-up.

Boro’s other key attacker Hackworth was unlucky not to open the scoring when he was picked out at the far post. His volley bounced up off the turf, over Blott’s head and inches wide.

Just before the break, Joe Naylor powered onto a Paddy Miller ball and his driven effort was tipped over.

Matt Draper did put the ball in the net from the resulting corner, but the referee adjudged that his rise was aided by the back of a defender.

Draper was the first Boro man to cause problems after Funk’s stern half-time words. The defender stumbled into the area before being denied by a saving tackle.

He then nodded down a corner from the right, but Lee somehow failed to control when two yards away from an open goal.

It just looked to be one of those days in front of goal, and that was underlined when Hackworth fed Lee in the box, but a combination of the attacker and his strike-partner Blott failed to convert.

Things could well have turned sour on the hour, but keeper Kevin Martin made a superb double save from Liam Ryoles and Scott Whittington.

This shock seemed to give Boro’s attack the spark they needed, and within minutes they were ahead.

A sweeping move involving Blott and Bill Law gave Lee a sniff on the edge of the box and he duly picked out the bottom corner.

Then, after 73 minutes, Hackworth rose highest to nod home a Bill Law corner for his 10th of the season.

Maltby were killed off with a third goal in 12 minutes, when Blott managed to beat Thompson at the second attempt.

There would have been time for a few more, but Hackworth, Blott and Draper failed to add to the tally when well placed.