Late collapse denies Boro’s new management duo

editorial image

A new era blew over Scarborough Athletic on Saturday, but unfortunately for new joint-bosses Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot the result remained the same.

Boro may have slipped to their third consecutive defeat in all competitions, losing 2-1 at the hands of Northwich, but there seemed a fresh zest about their play.

That was until the final 20 minutes when they ran out of steam, allowing the visitors the chance to bag two goals and all three points.

Hughes and Foot can take heart though. They were comfortably the better side for much of the fixture and the string of new boys that made their debuts bedded in beautifully.

These new faces included Doncaster loanee Alex Peterson and former North Ferriby full-back Steve Gardner. Boro under-19 Jamie Stewart took his place on the bench.

It wasn’t long before Stewart was offered a slice of the action, as he came on for the unlucky Gardner, who was stretchered off with a nasty knee injury with just eight minutes played.

By that point Boro has grabbed the ascendancy after Gary Bradshaw’s whipped free-kick from the right touchline had baffled a crowded box and settled in the bottom corner.

Boro were having the best of it and the lively Peterson was the next to take advantage of their clinical football.

The striker galloped through on goal and was taken down in the process. Surprisingly the culprit escaped any punishment.

Ryan Blott then had a pair of good chances, firstly heading Bradshaw’s set-piece past the post and then Tim Deasy palmed away his curling free-kick.

The action faded as the half progressed, but there was still time for Bradshaw to bend another of his dangerous free-kicks just wide of the target.

Boro maintained their grip on the fixture when the new half got underway, but they gradually relinquished this hold as time ticked on.

Having offered little to threaten Boro, Northwich finally emerged as an attacking force.

Aboubacar Sanogo missed a great ball into the box and then Jack Sharratt drilled a shot inches away from Jason White’s upright.

Boro then shut off on the left as the monsoon-like conditions set in, and Godwin Abadaki nipped in to finish unchallenged.

White made an amazing save to deny Mohamud Ali, and Boro looked to be hanging on for dear life.

Their hopes were then extinguished when Bohan Dixon collected 30 yards from goal and rolled the most composed of finishes into the bottom corner of the net.

And it could have been worse for Boro in the final few moments as Abadaki brought the best out of White and then poked wide when clean through on the home stopper.

Despite the defeat, there were positives aplenty for Boro to work with, though they don’t have a great deal of time as they return to action on Tuesday night in the Doodson Sports Trophy at home to Farsley.