Luntley’s double helps Town to win

editorial image

Scarborough Town had no trouble outgunning Withernsea and stretching their lead at the top of the league table.

Town were a class above their hosts and could have won by a bigger margin.

Town showed their attacking intent from the kick off, pressing Withernsea back into their own penalty area.

From a free-kick after two minutes, Kris Tate curled in a superb centre from the left which evaded a crowd of players to reach Baz Gill at the far post whose shot hit the woodwork from short range.

On ten minutes Town were ahead, the referee playing advantage when Tate was fouled to allow Ben Luntley to continue forward and hit the net.

Town doubled their lead within two minutes, this time Martyn Ferrey challenged for a cross from the right wing and the ball dropped for Tate to slam home.

Withernsea had to wait 15 minutes for their first sight of goal, when Tom Finn hit a free-kick powerfully but straight at Chris Ferrey between the Town posts.

Town over-elaborated when the quick-thinking Chris Nelson worked himself a chance and passed unselfishly to Martyn Ferrey who returned the compliment only for Nelson to shoot wide.

Ferrey hit the next chance over, then Luntley was thwarted by ‘keeper Andrew Bentley, who bravely blocked the effort.

A long-range shot from Tate was deflected into the grateful hands of Bentley, but it was only a matter of time before Town increased their lead.

Nelson broke away and Bentley saved again, but this time the ball fell to Ryan Jackson who scored his first Town goal.

Anticipation from Luntley then allowed him to latch onto an misplaced back-pass to race clear of the defence, go round the keeper and hit the net to stretch Town’s lead to 4-0 after only 30 minutes.

Luntley, seeking a hat-trick, was cynically fouled just outside the area but Ferrey’s free kick crept just outside the post.

As Town took their foot off the pedal, Withernsea’s top scorer Nigel Newton hit a scorcher which fortunately went straight at Chris Ferrey, and the same striker then went clear on the left but clipped the ball over the bar.

In first half stoppage time, Kieran Collins found himself a long way clear of a Town back four appealing for offside and netted to give Withernsea hope of a comeback despite the 4-1 half-time scoreline.

Town however remained well on top in the second period, playing with two up front but every member of the team looking to create further chances.

A superb move deserved a goal when Jackson played the ball wide to Ferrey, his cross was headed back across goal by Luntley and volleyed first time by Tate, only to see the ball slam into the midriff of keeper Bentley who was positioned more by luck than judgement.

Luntley’s persistence and determination was admirable, but there was no further success as shots flashed over the bar or just wide of the target.

On 58 minutes Town increased their lead when a superbly accurate cross from Jackson was volleyed home by Nelson from close range, and it took three great saves from Bentley to prevent the scoreline becoming a rout.

Town’s confidence was blossoming, and a crisp six-man move ended with Danny Collins having a shot blocked by Phil Wicks and Ben Briggs also ventured forward but had his effort blocked.

Ricky Nock made a number of runs down the right, setting up chances for Collins and Ferrey which were thwarted by Bentley who then made the save of the match from Tate’s free-kick.

Town have now scored 27 in their five away games and are looking very much like promotion contenders.

Town: C.Ferrey, Nock, Briggs, Patterson, Pickles, Gill, Jackson, Tate, Luntley (Collins 61), M.Ferrey, Nelson