Moorsiders battle for draw at Duncombe Park

Champions Kirkbymoorside Reserves earned a 2-2 draw at Duncombe Park.

The Moorsiders went ahead after only four minutes through a fine 18-yard finish by Azza Rivis, capping a fine move including Josh Butler and Jason Brown.

Park levelled with a header shortly afterwards, but Kirkby regained their lead when 16-year-old midfielder Brad Spink threaded a superb pass through to Brown, who slid his shot under the home keeper.

A defensive mix-up allowed Park to make it 2-2 before half-time.

There were no futher goals in the second half, although Lee Nesfield hit the woodwork for Kirkby and Dave Wallinger also hit the post for Park.

Rivis, Brown and Spink all shone for Kirkby.

Kirkdale United were unlucky to lose 2-1 at home to leaders Union Rovers.

Union started brightly but Kirkdale soon settled and began to control the game, good movement from the front two of Alex Croall and Martin Grayson caused Union plenty of problems without creating any clear cut chances early on. A mistake at the back nearly handed Union the opening goal but James Thompson made a good save.

Grayson opened the scoring in the 28th minute when he pounced on a loose pass and drilled his shot low into the bottom corner.

Kirkdale pressed for a second and following a good moved down the right the cross found George Bentley had made good ground to get on the end of it but from eight yards he just unable to keep the shot down.

The second half was similar with Kirkdale having much the better of it but were unable to add a second.

Union put in a couple of dangerous crosses in but were unable to convert but in the 72nd minute a free-kick 25 yards out was superbly fired in off the bar for a superb equaliser.

The game’s turning point came in the 86th minute.

As Kirkdale pressed for a winner, Jonno Wheeldon put the ball in only for the referee to fail to apply the laws correctly when a defender’s momentum took him off the field as he attempted to clear the ball.

As the ball was put back in for Wheeldon, he put it over the line.

The referee failed to include that player was still part of the game and disallowed the goal.

With time running out it cost Kirkdale, as a looping header in the final minute came back off a post into the path of a forward who couldn’t miss to give Union a 2-1 win.

The ref cautioned Phil Ward of Kirkdale and also cautioned one and sent off one from Union just before the end. Man of the Match for Kirkdale was Nathan Kiddle.