Newlands battle back for dramatic cup win

editorial image

Newlands hauled themselves to an impressive double on Monday night when they battled back to lift the Scarborough FA District Cup with a thrilling 4-3 win against Ayton at Queensgate.

Shaun Mancrief’s team had looked dead and buried at three goals down, but they demonstrated the grit and determination that had also helped them to seal the Saturday League title.

Boss Mancrief may have been concerned, but he always knew that his side had enough firepower to see them home.

He said: “We didn’t get going until the 65th minute. We were playing too flat at the back so we pushed Jack Hakings into midfield and pushed forward.

“We just needed that break and eventually it came.

“As a team we have showed that kind of character all season. We haven’t won the league because we dominated it is because we come strong in the final 20 minutes.

“There are some good teams in that league, we knew that Ayton would give us a tough game.

“I wasn’t expecting to be 3-0 down, I knew after the first 10 minutes it was going to be close.

“We are lively up front though, we have Sean Exley and Billy Logan, then we also have Dan Freer, who is a name for the future.

“That is the first time we have won that cup, we only have two more then we have our name on everything.

“It is a team that we have been trying to build for the past five years and it is coming to fruition.”

Ayton started the game positively with Mark Vasey and Neil Fryirs both going close with early free-kicks.

Newlands always looked a test to the Ayton back-four though, with the pace of Exley and the threat of Logan.

Exley had two golden chances to give Newlands the advantage when he was sent in on Ayton stopper Ben Riley, but the keeper twice outfoxed the striker.

Vasey had another good opportunity at the other end when a corner sailed to him at the far post, but his header was the wrong side of the upright.

The deadlock was broken minutes later when a mix-up in the area led to Dan Peel nodding past a stranded George Elliott.

Exley was twice denied a swift leveller when his drilled strike was tipped away, then an effort from a similar distance was crashed just wide.

It was Ayton who snatched the second goal against the run of play when Tyson Stubbings showed a good turn of pace to convert under Elliott.

Newlands had another good opening right on the stroke of the interval when Exley rolled in Logan, but the latter scuffed his shot wide.

The second half started superbly for Ayton as Stubbings once again scampered away and finished neatly to make it 3-0.

Riley continued to work his magic in the Ayton goal, with Exley’s frustrating evening seeing him denied once again by the palms for the Ayton man.

Logan went close soon after, before the former Boro and Brid man smashed in a wicked free-kick to breathe life into the Newlands cause, trimming the lead back to two.

Newlands shuffled their pack, bringing on Kile Fields and Chris Dove, but Dove immediately had to leave the field through injury, being replaced by Dan Freer.

His arrival proved to be vital as Freer’s first touch was a header that sailed into the back of the net.

And within minutes Newlands pulled level when Drew McCoubrey collected on the right and whipped a low strike into the bottom corner.

Ayton continued to creak under the pressure, with Exley, Logan and the other raiding Newlands attackers gaining more and more confidence.

Both Exley and Logan were involved in Newlands’ fourth, which was bundled home beyond Riley by an Ayton defender under plenty of pressure.

It nearly got worse for Ayton as Freer lashed a shot against their upright and Logan hammered a shot just over the bar.

Ayton tried in the final minutes to throw themselves forward, but Newlands held firm to secure the win and the silverware.