Newlands edge past Cayton to avoid cup shock

Second division Cayton Corinthians took division one title-chasers Newlands Park to penalties, after a goalless draw, in the North Riding FA Sunday Challenge Cup, the visitors securing their place in round two with a nervy 9-8 shoot-out success.

Sunday, 5th October 2014, 5:06 pm

With both sides having failed to miss a penalty, keeper Rich Curtis saved Alex May’s spot-kick to take a below-par Newlands through.

Cayton could have snatched victory in the 88th minute, centre-back Harry Holden’s header was goalbound but a Newlands defender cleared it off the line.

Boss John Best was delighted with the efforts of the village team: “Everybody played very well and battled hard against a very good team, we competed well and could have snatched it in normal time. I felt a bit sorry for Alex as he was struggling with an injury and didn’t really want to take a spot-kick.”

Newlands co-manager Ben Luntley said: “We were poor, but Cayton battled hard. Ben Briggs, in the middle of the park, was our man of the match, while Leigh Watson also put in some crucial challenges at centre-back.”

West Riding eased into the next round with a 9-0 home win against CCMI.

Ryan Matson and Curtis Rose scored a brace apiece, while James Seymour, Josh Young, Jack South, Alistair Jennings and Jack Ramos also netted for the home side.

Max Beecroft was named as man of the match for the victors.

Ayton paid the price for a string of defensive and goalkeeping errors in their 5-3 loss at home to Thirsk Town.

The home side took the lead when in-form striker Mike Grayshan forced the ball in from close range after a fine cross from Chris Milburn was only parried by the Town keeper.

Hesitancy in the villagers’ defence allowed Town to level the scores and Ayton keeper Dan Bywater then attempted an extravagant clearance and this allowed a Town striker in to close him down and put Thirsk in front, and another defensive slip let Town in again to make it 3-1.

A scorching 30-yard free-kick into the top corner from player-manager Mark Plumpton gave Ayton hope before the interval.

This hope was soon extinguished when two Ayton defenders left the ball for each other and Town nipped in to make it 4-2.

Grayshan followed up his own shot six minutes from time to make it 4-3 and give Ayton hope, but their chances took a dip when centre-back Stuart Wilson was sent off for a second bookable offence, and Town killed the game off when they beat the offside trap late on to hit a fifth.

Young right-back Sam Whitehead was man of the match for Ayton while Grayshan also impressed up front.

Alma played well despite going down 3-0 at home to a strong Redcar CF side.

Boss Philip Clothier said: “We played well at times but were beaten by the better team, who brought a 26-man squad down plus fans for the game.

“We defended resolutely but struggled to create many scoring opportunities and were undone twice in the first half by runs down the left.

“We were better in the second half, but conceded another when a through-ball was lobbed over our on-rushing stand-in keeper Keith Savage, who picked up another man of the match following some fine saves.

“Both teams made use of the rolling subs rule which really had a positive effect on the game for both teams.”

Whitby Wanderers suffered a 6-2 loss at home to The Fleece, despite being 2-1 ahead at the interval.

The visitors notched an early goal with a fine 20-yard strike, but Jack Wilson’s curling free-kick and a chip from Dan Brown - after fine work from Dan Wilson - put them 2-1 ahead at the interval.

Four goals from corners brought a rejuvenated visiting team back into the ascendancy, a fine move and finish making it 6-2.

Jimmy Landers was man of the match for the Wanderers for a strong show in central midfield.

Roscoes Bar booked their place in the next round of the Goalsports Trophy with a 4-1 home win against Fylingdales Reserves.

Gary Hepples scored first for Roscoes with a lob over the Dales keeper, and a through-ball to Tom Allen saw him fire home with the outside of his right foot and into the bottom corner to make it 2-0 at half-time.

The villagers pulled a goal back early through Josh Hopley in second half with a trickling shot past the keeper after a mix-up in defence.

The hosts piled on the pressure and hit the post and bar, boss Lee Paterson then brought Carl Hepples and Matty Rowley, who sealed the win for the hosts.

Carl Hepples set up his brother Gary to head in a third and Matty Rowley set up Carl Hepples for a late tap-in.

Midfield dynamo Sean Rowley was Roscoes man of match, while Ryan Cook was star man for Dales.

Trafalgar Reserves hit top form to storm to an 8-3 home win against Newlands Park Reserves, Mikey Barker smacking in a hat-trick for the victors.

Barker opened the scoring with a fine strike from the edge of the box, then Damien Robinson added a second before Andrew Westwood’s thumping 30-yard shot gave Park hope of a revival.

Striker Barker restored Traf’s two-goal lead before half-time, but a brace from goals from midfielder Andy Noon and a Joe Logan left-footed 20-yarder put Traf on top, Jamie Deyes pulling another goal back for Park with a 35-yard effort.

Man of the match Kurtis Henderson added a seventh with a towering header, teenager Deyes then fired in his second before Barker completed his hat-trick.

Henderson won everything at centre-back for Traf, in the air and on the ground, while veteran central midfielder Duncan McDermott was Park’s star man for his tireless work.

Trafalgar surged back to the top of the Scarborough News Sunday League first division table on goal difference with a 13-2 home win against Fylingdales, who played the final half-hour with nine men.

Joel Ramm smacked in five goals, while strike-partner Danny Glendinning made a superb debut, firing in a hat-trick and winning the man-of-the-match award.

Left-winger Rob Pinder scored two and there were goals from Dean MacAuley, Ben Salt and Neil Thomas, Lee Brennan scoring both for the villagers.

Fylingdales had used both their subs when Matt Winspear limped off with an injury just before the hour mark, and moments later Dales were reduced to nine men when Jake Faichney was sent off for dissent.

West Pier recovered from going a goal down early on to romp to a 12-3 win at home to Itis Itis.

Striker Rob Speight smashed in a hat-trick for Pier, with Dan Jones also netting a treble from midfield, with the other scorers being Cameron Dobson (2), Martin Cooper, Ryan Baldry, Sam Hyde and Dave Bell

Hyde was named as joint man of the match for the home side, adding five assists to his goal, sharing the plaudits with right-back Matty Forsyth.

Josh Sands scored with a cracking first-time 35-yard strike to put the away side in front from the Pier keeper’s clearance and then equalised for Itis Itis, Adam Linley’s fine volley proving to be little more than a consolation after the break. Isaac sands was man of the match for the visitors, impressing at centre-back then midfield.

Klosters dug deep to record a 6-2 home win over Commercial, despite playing half the game with just nine men.

Commercial grabbed an early lead through Neil Forsyth but debutant Ethon Pashby crossed for Tom Scales to draw the hosts level.

Georgie Rose played in Scales to put Klosters in front and it was 3-1 when roles were reversed and Rose guided in a Scales centre.

Mike Brown’s penalty made it 4-1 just before half-time but the visitors pulled a goal back 10 minutes after the re-start through a Steven Barker header.

Commercial piled on the pressure but the home side held firm and two more goals on the counter from Scales, the first of which arrived after a fine 70-yard pass from Lee Luntley, sealed Klosters’ win.

Scales was the victors’ man of the match for a tireless display and four well-taken goals on his first appearance of the season.

Player-boss Rhys Howell said: “We grafted seriously hard for this win. I’d like to dedicate the three points to Mark Vasey”.

Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff moved into second spot in the division two table with a hard-earned 3-1 win at home to Scarborough Spa.

After a goalless first hour, the hosts took the lead with a 30-yard free-kick from Dean Johnson, struck low and hard past the Spa keeper Kamil Jurkiewicz, who had a great game for the visitors.

Ten minutes later Sean Naylor added a second for Sports, taking on two visiting players before playing a one-two with Zac Hansen and firing low across Jurkiewicz, and when Chris Hannam’s superb solo run and finish made it 3-0 the win was sealed for the home side, though Martin Kelly pulled a goal back for the visitors.

Centre-back Dom Leith was man of the match for the hosts, with full-backs Ryan Wood and Jack Gates excelling for the visitors.