Newlands edge past Edgehill in seven-goal cup thriller

A Drew McCoubrey double helped Newlands grab a 4-3 home win against Scarborough Saturday League top-flight rivals Edgehill in their Harbour Cup clash at the weekend.

Monday, 19th October 2020, 9:47 am
Updated Monday, 19th October 2020, 4:08 pm
Newlands keeper Tom Cammish claims the ball in the win against Edgehill PHOTOS BY RICHARD PONTER

Dan Freer and Izzy MacCauley also notched for the hosts, who led 3-0 at the interval.

A change of tactics at the interval by Edgehill boss Steve Clegg saw the visitors fight back with a goal from Joe Gallagher, and after three superb saves from Newlands keeper Tom Cammish, Sean Exley made it 3-2 from the spot.

The hosts also scored from the spot in the 80th minute to go two goals clear, so when Exley converted his second penalty of the game with almost the final kick of the cup-tie it was too late to save them.

Newlands win a header in the Harbour Cup win against Edgehill

Newlands boss Paddy Mancrief said: "The team gave 100% considering we only had a bare 11, but the man of the match was Tom Cammish, just ahead of Drew McCoubrey."

Edgehill manager Steve Clegg said: "I was very disappointed with the first 45 but we came out and chucked everything at them second half.

"We created enough chances after the break to win two games but missed chances were vital.

"They were clinical in taking their chances and did well to hold on. Ryan Link was our man of the match."

Itis Itis Rovers worked hard for their 2-1 win at second division Flamborough.

Liam Mancrief and Jack Ramos scored for Rovers, James Stainforth notching for Boro, and only a fine penalty save from Ben Rowe stopped the match going to penalties.

Rovers boss Jordan Lee said: "Credit to Flamborough who never stopped and pushed us to the final whistle.

"It was a very poor display from us, but Glenn O'Neill deserved the man of the match award."

Louis Leddy and Matty Crisp were the star men for the villagers.

Filey Town also had to work hard for a 3-2 home win against Beckett League second division side Ayton.

Man of the match Joe Gage scored twice and Luke Priestley the other as Town dug deep to sink Ayton in a scrappy game.

Benny Davis hammered in four goals as West Pier romped to a 14-1 win at second division Goal Sports, Jack James and Harry Ward also netting hat-tricks.

Player-boss Will Jenkinson also chipped in with a brace, Martin Cooper and Harrie Leighton adding a goal apiece, Dragos Dragan replying for the hosts.

Davis and Ward were the star men for Pier.

Scalby lost out to Beckett League side Snainton 5-3 on penalties after the scores had been locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, Rob Speight notching for the hosts.

West Pier Reserves remain top of Division Two after their 4-1 win at FC Rosette, man of the match George Wilson hitting a treble and Bobby Penny heading in the other for Pier, all in the first half.

Mark Craven notched for the hosts, who had Alex Varley and keeper Chris Millson in fine form.

Newlands Reserves opened their account for the season with a 1-0 home win against Filey Town Reserves, Tristan Mustoe scoring the goal to halt Town's winning start to the campaign.

Newlands' man of the match was 16-year-old defender Aaron Dixon, with centre-back Luke Kempson the star man for Town.

Eastfield Athletic worked hard for their 4-3 home win against Scalby Reserves.

Strikers Craig Larvin and Jordan Scott scored two apiece for the hosts, with midfielder Chrissy Wells their man of the match.

Daz Pledger, Zameze Deans and Dave Oxley netted for the villagers, the latter levelling on 88 minutes only for Athletic to snatch the last-gasp winner.

Stand-in keeper Dan Virr was man of the match for Scalby.

Edgehill Reserves earned a 4-2 win at Seamer Sports Reserves.

The young hosts took a deserved lead on 20 minutes through Taylor Plant, but the similarly youthful Edgehill side, which included Liam Coulson returning after a year out with a broken leg, levelled through Ted Edwards' header from a corner and he then put them in front with a superb solo run and 25-yard strike.

Jake Reeves added a third on the stroke of half-time after a fine pass from Reuben Staveley.

Seamer pulled it back to 3-2 on 80 minutes with a penalty from their man of the match Riley Metcalfe, Josh Pickin, who was Edgehill's star man, sealed the win with his firsl goal for the club in the final minute.