Newlands stay in the hunt

Action from Nelson v Rillington (red shirts) division two game on Olivers Mount on Saturday. Picture by Andrew Higgins 121561g        14/04/12
Action from Nelson v Rillington (red shirts) division two game on Olivers Mount on Saturday. Picture by Andrew Higgins 121561g 14/04/12

NEWLANDS stayed in touch with leaders West Pier and kept their division one title hopes alive with a comfortable 5-2 win against Fishburn Park.

A Newlands defeat would have handed Pier the title, but the win for Shaun Mancrief’s men keeps them within touching distance of the unbeaten leaders.

Newlands led 1-0 at the break through a precise chip over the Fishburn keeper by Eric Hall.

Paddy Mancrief netted before Hall added two more after the break to give Newlands a comfortable 4-0 lead.

Fishburn, who will be relegated if Scalby register a point at Filey Town this evening, bagged a goal on the break, but Ben Luntley quickly made it 5-1.

The visitors scored again but the game was already over as a contest.

Boss Mancrief said: “That puts us up into second place in the league ahead of Edgehill now, so we’re pleased with that.”

Hall, Luntley, Mancrief and Jamie Gallagher stood out for Newlands.

The only other division one clubs in action were Filey Town and Eastfield St James, who played a double-header to avoid fixture congestion.

The two 70-minute matches saw Eastfield triumph 1-0 through a Nathan Till strike, before Dave Brannan’s men hit back with a 3-0 win through goals from Ricky Tomlinson, Max Gage and James Jenkinson.

Nelson secured their division two safety after taking a 0-0 draw against Rillington Athletic, who were relegated themselves as a result.

Nelson had their chances to win the game, hitting the woodwork on a number of occasions.

Rillington will feel aggrieved after they had a goal scratched out by the referee for offside when the player looked to be onside.

Nelson had striker Rob Speight sent off for two yellow cards, but Nelson boss Kev Creelman is already planning for next season after consolidating in their first campaign in division two.

He said: “We’re pleased to have stayed up. We’ve had a poor season and we expected better, but to have stayed up despite that is good for the club.

“We’ll look to strengthen in areas next season and hopefully do better.”

Whitby Fishermen’s Society were frustrated yet again by Eastfield Reserves, who called their scheduled fixture off for a second time, meaning Mark Storr’s men will have to wait to try and secure their expected promotion to the top flight.

FC Rosette picked up three points from their trip to Edgehill Reserves after a 5-3 success.

Lee Dennis put Edgehill in front, but Rosette turned the game on its head and took a 3-1 lead.

A stunning strike from Martyn Ferrey made it 3-2 but Rosette hit back again.

Robin Metcalfe’s curling effort from the edge of the box made it 4-3 and gave Edgehill a scent of hope, but Rosette quashed those hopes with another goal to round things off at 5-3.

Rosette’s Alex Wray bagged a treble, while Brett Fitzsimmons and Joe Logan also scored.