No fireworks as Boro grab away-day point

There were few fireworks on Bonfire Night as Scarborough Athletic left Trafford with a goalless draw an a point.

Saturday, 5th November 2016, 3:54 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:51 pm
Boro report

It certainly wasn't a classic, with both teams failing to land that killer blow, but the away-day draw against a good side was certainly a useful one.

There were a number of absentees for Steve Kittrick and his management team to deal with, resulting in Adam Bolder returning to the side and Callum Robinson starting on the right.

Neither saw much of the ball in the early stages of the game, as Trafford set off like a house on fire.

Having netted five goals in midweek, Trafford were keen to further boost their total and it looked as though that might happen.

Boro held on with bodies on the line to keep out a sharp and fluent Trafford attack that forced them back in the first half an hour.

An error from Jordan Porter placed the ball on the head of home centre-back Josh Granite, but he planted his effort just over the bar.

Then Filose Irakoze almost put a goalscoring toe on a lovely ball in from the left, but it skipped on past and to safety.

Boro didn't offer much as an attacking threat in the first half, the only opening they managed was a good touch and a wayward shot from central frontman Benny Igiehon.

There was no lighting of the touchpaper when the second period got underway, both teams still finding their way in the encounter.

Boro created a trace of excitement when Cameron Murray's dance into the box was ended by a challenge, but the referee turned his back on the appeals.

Adam Bolder drilled an effort wide, then at the other end, Aaron Burns saw a header well claimed by keeper Porter.

Boro threw on the second Bolder brother Chris and also David Brown as they looked to light things up in the latter stages.

Igiehon turned well in the box, but his strike was just off target. Burns continued to threaten for Trafford, he fired in a deflected effort that grazed the outside of Boro's post.

Trafford went for the jugular in the dying embers, as Porter brilliantly tipped over a Kingsley Williams volley. Then Andy Langford managed to force the ball into the net, but he was booked for using his hand.

Trafford had burned themselves out by that point though and Boro had done enough to claim the point.