Pier sting the Wasps

editorial image

West Pier kicked off their Saturday League first division campaign with a tight 2-1 win at Westover Wasps.

Pier took the lead when debut-boy Ali Caw picked out Neil Thomas in the box and he rifled home.

Westover levelled the game soon after through a clever lob from Luke Jones after a long ball from the back.

Both sides had good penalty shouts, but it was left to Thomas to wrap up Pier’s points when he scored a goal from nothing with 15 minutes to go.

United Sports Bar opened their account with a win when they beat Hunmanby United 5-1.

Georgie Rose struck twice for USB, while Liam Vasey, Tommy Day and Craig Rackham scored the others.

Jon Hyde hit the only goal for a youthful, new-look Hunmanby as they were comfortably swept aside.

Sleights and Whitby Fisherman battled their way to a 3-3 draw.

The Fishermen went ahead, but Ben Watson brought things on terms just before the break.

Fishermen then looked to have wrapped it up when they went 3-1 up, but Watson hit his second from Ben Wilson’s cross and then Joe Leadley equalised in added time from keeper Ian Rhucroft’s free-kick.

In division two, West Pier Reserves sent a few shockwaves out when they beat Cayton 7-4.

Mikey Barker was the star of the show for Pier as he smashed home four goals, while Dave Crawford, Will Garnett and Chris Weetman were also on target.

Newlands Park Reserves came from behind to beat Duchess by a 3-1 scoreline.

The Newlands lads dominated the first half, but they failed to breach the Duchess back-line, which was superbly held together by Tim Jackson and Rich Garton.

In fact it was Duchess who took the lead right at the end of the first period when Ian Laing pounced.

Newlands suffered a further blow 10 minutes into the second half when Hugh Brown was dismissed for a professional foul.

That seemed to galvanise Newlands though and they were soon awarded a spot-kick when Jackson felled Stefan Moon and Stewart Bates netted.

Newlands took control after this and they seized the lead with 20 minutes left when Moon broke free and neatly beat the keeper.

Moon wrapped things up soon after when he turned on a throw-in and converted.

Jamie Deyes was the man of the match for the victors.

Scalby won their derby battle with Rosette 5-1.

Under the guidance of new gaffer Daniel Gregory, Scalby fell behind when Wayne Shaw headed home.

But Mike Harnett’s low shot levelled the game going into the second half.

Scalby grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck after this, with John Bateman making it 2-1 and Rich Simpson smashing into the top corner to make it three.

Harnett’s second and a drilled Grant Elwell finish sealed the deal.

Filey Town Reserves collected a last-gasp victory against Edgehill Reserves.

Filey moved two ahead through Martin Jenkinson before Billy Coyne scored a second, but Dave Bell trimmed the advantage back to 2-1.

Filey stretched their lead through Joe Gage, but Bell’s second and a Phil Warnett screamer brought Edgehill on terms.

The game looked to be heading for a draw, but Ryan Baldry finished off with the last kick to hand Filey the points.

Athletico2b saw off Snainton by a 3-2 scoreline.

Goals from man of the match Martin Kelly and Tom Halenby were not enough as Athletico had too much.