Plummer sinks Mossley to keep Boro flowing

editorial image

Matty Plummer turned match-winner as Scarborough Athletic made in six victories in a row with a 2-1 success at home against Mossley.

Plummer rose highest in the dying embers of the Evo-Stik North clash to seal another three-point haul.

The fixture at a chilly Queensgate seemed to be heading towards a draw until this late boost that keeps Boro in fifth going into the festive period.

It also gave new joint-bosses Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot the perfect start to their permanent tenure.

Hughes and Foot made the two changes for the game, bringing in keeper Antoni Pecora and full-back Steve Ridley for the suspended Joe Cracknell and Paul Robson.

The chances came and went for Boro as they dominated a lively first half.

Mossley’s rearguard found the going hard against a Boro side, who were bang in form.

The best opportunity arrived in the first few minutes as Gary Bradshaw’s ball across the box found James Bennett, but his bending shot was tipped away by Andrew Farrimond.

The visiting keeper was at his best once again when Bradshaw wriggled into the box. Farrimond got a firm hand to the ball and Ryan Blott failed to gobble up the rebound.

Boro continued to move closer and closer, as Alex Peterson tested the strength of the bar and then Jimmy Beadle’s thunderbolt was superbly palmed away.

There was no let-up as the half ticked away and Mossley seemed content to still be in a game when the whistle blew for the break.

The visiting side’s first real opportunity came just seconds into the new period when the ball worked through to Sam Robinson, but the striker dragged his shot across the face of goal.

Boro responded superbly, taking the lead seconds later.

Bennett teased the ball into the box and Bradshaw nodded a deflected header in off the post.

Boro were handed a further boost when Robinson’s late challenge on Dean Lisles earned his a second yellow card.

Athletic must have thought the job was done after this, but they were stung by a swift leveller.

Some shocking defending from the hosts allowed Tom Pratt a chance on the penalty spot and he scuffed into the bottom corner.

After the initial shock, Boro soon tried to restore order.

Beadle’s sweet drive sailed past the post with the keeper well beaten. Then Blott was picked out in the box, but his touch let him down.

Things continued to heat up, with referee Mark Swift adding to his lengthening Christmas cards list.

Boro opted for experience in the final moments, with Ryan Williams and Bryan Hughes both being thrown on.

After the impact of the previous weekend at Lancaster, Williams almost made lightening strike twice, but his low volley hit the sidenetting.

With the referee checking his watch, Boro finally won a corner on the right deep into injury time.

Plummer was picked out at the far post and his downward header squeezed in through a forest of legs to seal a richly-deserved win.