Rennison delighted by Town’s late win at leaders Pocklington

Jamie Bradshaw scored the winner for Scarborough Town at Pocklington
Jamie Bradshaw scored the winner for Scarborough Town at Pocklington

Scarborough Town boss Shaun Rennison was delighted with his side’s performance when they edged out table-toppers Pocklington Town 2-1 thanks to a late goal from Jamie Bradshaw.

Rennison welcomed back Sean Exley and Ricky Greening who had missed the previous three games, and Neil Thomas also returned after injury.

“I finally had my strongest team out on the pitch for this game after missing a few players early on, and I was very impressed how we played on a very good, big pitch which suited our style.

“We created numerous chances and apart from the penalty our keeper Rob Clark was a spectator. When Jamie Bradshaw notched the winner it was deserved after our dominance.”

The former Scarborough FC defender added: “This is a tough league and to beat the leaders is a great result. We will be looking for another positive outcome when we face Sculcoates on Saturday in our first home game of the season at McCains Sports.”

Town began with confidence, and Exley evaded two opponents at top speed before hitting a powerful shot just too high.

It was no surprise when the visitors went ahead after only six minutes, Ben Luntley running on to a long ball to skilfully lift the ball over goalkeeper Rob Kunkel and tap the ball into the net.

Exley again accelerated past a number of defenders to bring an excellent flying save from Kunkel, but the Pocklington front men were also looking sharp, and a good passing move ended in a tangle of legs as Josh Hakings was adjudged to have brought down his man and a penalty was awarded. Tom Rogers blasted the ball past Rob Clark from the 12-yard spot to level the scores on 16 minutes.

Town responded to the setback by unleashing a barrage of shots on the home goal, but Pockllington survived the onslaught.

An Exley cross was headed back across the keeper but just wide of the post by Greening, then a Jamie Patterson knock-down gave Greening a sight of goal but he pulled his shot wide. A sweeping move was brought to a halt by a foul on Neil Thomas, and when the resulting free-kick from Patterson was only half-cleared, Greening hit his shot with power but just wide of the target.

The first goalmouth action of the second half saw Neil Thomas flick the ball on neatly but Exley was foiled by a brave block from Kunkel.

At the other end Pocklington created a great chance to go in front when Dan Boneham turned inside Hakings but the home forward slammed his shot into the side netting.

Then Luntley put Thomas through but excellent defending blocked his effort. Luntley was playing with his usual high-tempo persistence and created an opportunity for Josh Clayton to swing in a dangerous cross which was put out for a corner.

On 81 minutes Town hassled the home defence into a mistake, a crossfield pass being intercepted by substitute Jamie Bradshaw who took the ball into the area and confidently rounded the keeper before putting Town 2-1 ahead.

Nervous defending from the home team also allowed Gary Thomas to take a shot which went just over the bar, but Pocklington were still looking dangerous on the attack and hit the bar with a header following a corner from the left.

Exley and Bradshaw combined well to create a chance for Greening which drew a good low save from Kunkel, but Pocklington almost managed to maintain their unbeaten record with a late flurry which was repulsed by a Town defence in which Sam Smart stood tall.

Town: Clark, Nock, Clayton, Smart, Hakings, Patterson, G Thomas, Exley, Greening (Gill 86), Luntley (Mawson 85), N Thomas (Bradshaw 75).