Rennison’s men suffer rare Humber defeat at Brandesburton

editorial image

After a run of thirteen league games unbeaten, Scarborough Town came up against a highly-motivated Brandesburton team who had already seen off Bransholme Athletic on their own patch.

Town boss Shaun Rennison had to re-shuffle his team due to injuries, but he welcomed back Baz Gill after a lengthy lay-off and Rob Clark made his return between the sticks.

Town began well, Kris Tate’s curling in a dangerous free-kick for Town which just eluded his forwards.

On 19 minutes the home team took the lead when a long cross from the left was met by a firm header from a poorly-marked Sam Dixey.

Town almost levelled when Chris Nelson got his head to a Bradshaw cross, but on 27 minutes Brandesburton broke away with two players chasing a long ball, Ash Rimmer nicked the ball past Clark and Steve Cook popped the loose ball into the net from a suspiciously offside position.

Things got even worse for Town when influential midfielder Jamie Patterson was forced off the field by an injury.

Ben Luntley was working hard in a slightly withdrawn position, and his astute pass sent Nelson away but his shot from a narrow angle went behind.

The home team were throwing themselves into every tackle and wasting no time moving the ball upfield, and a long punt was headed over Clark but Ben Briggs was covering well.

The second half began in disappointing fashion. A free-kick for the home team which was swung in, headed back across goal and headed into the net by Rimmer despite Town’s claims that they were pushed and pulled out of position.

Cook could have added another, but he shot straight at Clark after having worked himself a good opening.

Town were sticking to their principles and trying to play their normal short passing game, but the awful pitch made things very difficult and Brandesburton kept up their high-tempo pressing to deny Town time and space.

A well-worked Brandesburton corner gave Pete Chatterton a sight of goal but his shot was straight at Clark, then Chris Fisher went through but shot wide from a tight angle.

However, Town at last exerted some pressure and a half-cleared free kick came to debutant Lewis Taylor whose powerful shot was just too high.

Bradshaw then jinked his way past three defenders before unleashing a fierce shot which was blocked by a brave last-ditch challenge.

Fisher was unlucky when his effort hit the inside of the Town post but stayed out, whilst a Neil Fryirs free kick curled just over the bar at the other end.

Luntley headed a Nelson cross goalwards but Otley was well positioned, then Bradshaw almost broke through but was denied by a superb tackle.

With Town pushing up in search of at least a consolation goal, the home team broke away but Clark saved well, and Luntley had one final chance but put the ball wide under a firm challenge.

Town therefore remained scoreless for the first time this season but will hope to put things right when they entertain Driffield FC in a week’s time.

Town: Clark, Nock, Gill, Briggs (Thomas 74), Fryirs, Patterson (Taylor 33), Tate, Nelson, Luntley, Collins (Rennison 55), Bradshaw.