Rennison’s Town lose out at fortress Hessle

editorial image

Hessle Sporting Club reinforced their splendid home record on the artificial surface at South Hunsley School by defeating an injury-hit Scarborough Town side.

Town drafted in Jason Darling for his third start of the season, and Lee Cappleman made his first start since the beginning of October, with only two players available to take a seat on the Town bench.

The home side began with a flourish but Chris Nelson cleared off the line after Gareth Wray had got his head to a corner, then Scott Richards took a free kick which went wide.

Suddenly all the action switched to the other end, with Tony Pickles, Nelson and Cappleman combining well to force the first in a series of four Town corners, with Neil Fryirs swinging the ball in and Cappleman’s goalbound effort being cleared off the line.

Hessle could not escape the pressure, and a 20-yarder from Nelson smacked against the home crossbar, then home keeper Steve Fox pulled off a miraculous one-handed save from Fryirs.

It seemed only a matter of time before Town went in front as another shot bounced back off the post, but a Hessle breakaway almost let to a goal when Town keeper Rob Clark had to dive bravely at the feet of Perry Skelton.

Nelson’s low cross caused panic in the Hessle defence and earned yet another corner, but on 16 minutes Hessle took the lead with a marvellous sweeping move starting in their own half and involving six players before Skelton netted a goal which was worthy of a much higher level.

Fryirs and Ben Luntley set up Briggs for a shot which went wide, then a Briggs cross was headed over by Cappleman.

Just before the break, Darling was robbed by Kye Esa who headed for goal, but Darling chased back and helped to block the effort.

However, from the resultant corner home centre back James Bell rose highest to plant a header into the net for a 2-0 lead.

Within seconds, Cappleman went clear and tried to lift the ball over Fox but could not get enough height on the ball and the keeper saved the effort.

The second half began with Skelton turning to fire just wide from 25 yards, whilst at the other end Briggs threw himself bravely into a header but had no reward other than a hefty collision with the home keeper.

As Town kept Hessle pinned in their own half, Briggs hit a dipping effort which dropped just wide and Luntley got his head to a Bradshaw cross but Fox saved well.

When Hessle finally got back on the attack, Josh Lambert had a shot which was partially saved by Clark and then cleared off the line by Luntley.

A late challenge on Patterson brought Town a free kick but Cappleman’s effort was blocked by the defensive wall, and the same player headed the ball over the bar from a Patterson cross.

Nelson also put in a good cross but Briggs could only head straight at the keeper, then Jamie Bradshaw beat two men and hit a powerful low drive which Fox gathered competently.

On 80 minutes, Town constructed a good move down the right and Ricky Nock cut into the box only to be felled by a crude foul.

Patterson converted the penalty with ease to bring the score back to 2-1.

Town now moved up another gear and a Bradshaw shot was well saved as the home team began to panic.

Danny Collins and Cappleman both had shots which went too high and cleared the bar as Town piled men forwards, and Luntley played the ball through to Cappleman whose sharp effort was well saved by Fox.

After a nervy last 10 minutes, Hessle held on for a win which they possibly just deserved against a Town side who were a little below par on the day.

Town: Clark, Nock, Briggs (Collins 81), Darling, Gill, Patterson, Nelson, Pickles, Fryirs (Bradshaw 54), Cappleman, Luntley.