Rennison’s Town romp to Rangers success

editorial image

Scarborough Town maintained their 100 per cent home record with a convincing 6-2 win over third-placed East Riding Rangers.

Within two minutes Town took the lead when Sean Exley took a quick throw-in to Ben Luntley who held off a defender and bent the ball beautifully into the top corner.

Town keeper Chris Ferrey had move smartly to block a Rangers shot, but on 11 minutes the home side doubled their lead.

Kris Tate won the ball with a determined tackle on a hesitant defender and surged into the penalty box towards the keeper before pushing the ball sideways for Luntley to net his second.

Rangers got back into the game two minutes later, when the powerful Chris Rogers bludgeoned his way through three tackles in midfield to release Danny Furlong whose sweetly-struck low drive found the bottom corner of the Town net.

Josh Mansfield tried to chip the home keeper but saw the ball drop wide, then a great interception from Town’s action man Chris Nelson prevented Rangers getting another sight of goal.

Rangers keeper Zak Montgomery could not hold on to an Exley shot from an acute angle, but Town were unable to force the loose ball home.

However a corner from Martyn Ferrey set up a scramble in the Rangers goalmouth, and although they cleared the ball off the line it reached Jamie Patterson who slammed the ball home from ten yards to net his first goal of the season which was also Town’s 50th of the campaign so far.

A well-hit 25-yard free kick from Exley penetrated the defensive wall but was well held by Montgomery, then a Ferrey through ball was superbly helped on by Kris Tate to Nelson who blasted the ball just over the bar.

Town seemed to lose concentration for a while and needed the cool heads of Baz Gill and Tony Pickles to solve problems at the back, but the home team were soon back on the attack, with Ferrey unable to beat the keeper from a tight angle and an Exley shot deflected away for a corner.

A weak clearance from Town keeper Chris Ferrey gave Lee Bullman a chance from long range but his first-time effort went wide.

As the half ended, Nelson went away on the right and squared for Exley whose powerful shot hit a defender’s elbow but the contact was deemed accidental by referee David Marley.

The second period began with the team from Brough earning a free-kick which was hit over the bar by Sam Sherwood. But on 55 minutes Town made it 4-1 when Martyn Ferrey took possession 30 yards out and brilliantly shuffled past four challenges before blasting the ball joyfully into the net from eight yards out for a superb solo effort.

Town boss Shaun Rennison brought on all three substitutes, but Town remained in control and the next goal came when Montgomery was penalised for carrying the ball out of his area and Exley’s free-kick flew through the wall and into the net to make the score 5-1.

East Riding tempers flared for a while, although only two yellows were shown for a number of tackles which appeared reckless.

Montgomery was well positioned to save another Exley snapshot, and then Danny Collins fed Patterson whose effort was deflected wide.

On 78 minutes Rangers swung in a long cross from the right which was met by a tremendous volley from substitute Billy Mansfield to reduce the arrears, but within two minutes Town made it 6-2 when Neil Fryirs neatly tucked away a chance set up by Exley.

Fryirs and Exley both had further efforts blocked, and what looked like a good goal from Tate was ruled out for offside.

At the other end Mansfield headed wide but Rangers were doomed to their worst ever away defeat in their two and a half years in the Humber Premier League.

Town: C.Ferrey, Nock, Briggs, Pickles, Gill, Patterson, Nelson (Thomas 59), Tate, Luntley (Collins 59), M.Ferrey (Fryirs 59), Exley.