Rennison spot on in McCain Cup final win for Cayton

editorial image

Cayton secured a 3-2 penalty shoot-out McCain Cup final win against Newlands Reserves to complete an unhappy finals day for the club at Clarence Drive - coming only a few hours after their first team lost to West Pier in the Senior Cup final.

Cayton 2 (Holden, J Best) Newlands Res 2 (Hannam, McDermott) aet, Cayton win 3-2 on penalties

A cup final that failed to impress for long spells did include one of the most dramatic final minute spells, Cayton going 2-1 ahead through player-boss John Best only for his counterpart Dunc McDermott to net straight from the restart thanks to a stunning run and cross from Polish super-sub Jakub Flisnik - the final kick of the 90 minutes.

After a poor opening to the final, it was Newlands who took the lead in the 14th minute when midfielder Chris Hannam raced onto a precise through-ball from Tom Mackenzie-Fenwick and beat Cayton keeper Zack Waterman to the ball and slotted home from 14 yards.

A powerful run and cross from right-back Jake McAleese saw a Harry Holden header flash across the face of the Newlands goal on 28 minutes.

Waterman kept his side in the game when he pulled off a fine point-blank save at the feet of Mackenzie-Fenwick in the 33rd minute and two minutes later Newlands striker Luke Delve shot narrowly wide of the Cayton goal.

Player-manager John Best headed wide when well-placed, while Daz Stabler had a shot saved and Scott Davison’s 35-yard thunderbolt flew narrowly over the bar as the villagers picked up the pace before half-time.

Cayton raced out of the blocks after the interval, Michael Dennis’ forceful run creating the chance for fellow forward Holden to shoot low past Newlands keeper Kamil Jurkiewicz.

Dennis was Cayton’s key player during this 25-minute spell of dominance but he was taken off by Best in the 71st minute after picking up a booking for a strong challenge on Newlands skipper Dan Sheader, Tom Sixsmith coming on in his place.

Cayton captain Shaun Rennison headed Mackenzie-Fenwick’s goalbound shot off the line in a rare Newlands attack in the second half, but the former Scarborough FC defender also hit the crossbar with a header.

Flisnik, who had come on for John Wood on the right wing for Newlands gave his side an injection of pace and skill down the flank, while Dean Andrews also headed over the bar in a frenetic final 20 minutes, Davison shooting over when well-placed.

With just a minute left on the clock, Rennison headed goalward from a free-kick, with John Best heading in from close range despite Newlands appeals for handball by the central midfielder.

Straight from the re-start, Flisnik took the ball down the right wing, beat sub Lee Best and whipped in a cross from an acute angle which was sidefooted in by McDermott, ref Bill Pashby blowing the whistle for full-time before the game could be re-started so the final went to extra-time.

Eleven minutes into extra-time, Delve had a shot tipped onto the bar by Waterman, as Newlands seemed to take the upper hand with Cayton still reeling from conceding the late leveller, but they recovered after the break without creating any chances as the final went to penalties.

Dean Andrews fired in the opening spot-kick to put Newlands in front, Danny Collins replying for Cayton, Hannam then made it 2-1 to Newlands with Jurkiewicz making a fine save to deny Holden.

Delve hit the post with his penalty, and John Best made it 2-2 when his penalty crept in off the post, but then Tom Clark blasted his shot over the bar.

McAleese smashed his effort over the bar, but Eddy Mackenzie also missed which meant Rennison had the chance to win the final for Cayton and he fired in the spot-kick to start the Cayton celebrations.

Boss John Best said: “I th0ught we had a shocking first 15 minutes and went 1-0 down but after the break we got going again, with Mikey Dennis one of the main reasons for that as he was a livewire for us in those 25 minutes before he got booked.

“Harry Holden also worked very hard for us and took his goal well, while Shaun Rennison was excellent as always at centre-back.

“If we can beat Filey Flyers Reserves on Thursday night we can also add the title to this final win which would make it a brilliant season for us.”