Rivis is Kirkby cup hero

Old Malton 2nds v Flixton in the Junior Cup
Old Malton 2nds v Flixton in the Junior Cup

Kirkbymoorside Reserves striker Azza Rivis scored both goals as his side claimed a superb 2-1 win at Brotton RA in the third round of the Scarborough & District FA Junior Cup.

The Eskvale & Cleveland League club seemed to be stunned by the swift start that the visitors made, as they hardly touched the ball in the first 15 minutes.

Old Malton 2nds v Flixton in the Junior Cup

Old Malton 2nds v Flixton in the Junior Cup

Azza Rivis opened the scoring from a Lee Nesfield corner, and the latter could easily have notched two or three goals on another day as he had several chances which went narrowly wide of the target.

Jason Brown also had a good chance to make it 2-0 before the interval, but the home keeper pulled off a good save.

After the break, Azza Rivis doubled Kirkby’s lead with a fine guided header from Brown’s cross - set up by fine play from young winger Josh Butler.

The Moorsiders looked to be cruising, but the home side got a foothold in the game with a penalty-kick, and they piled on the pressure in the closing 20 minutes. Kirkby held onto their lead and booked their spot in the quarter-finals.

The Moorsiders’ manager Andy Marley said: “Azza Rivis was the man of the match, but overall it was a superb display to win at a difficult place like Brotton.

“The young lads, Josh Butler, Max Frazer and Brad Spink, all impressed me once again.

Gillamoor marched into the last eight with a fine 4-0 win at Scarborough League third division title-chasers Athletico2B.

Daryl Rivis was on top form for the visitors, the former Kirkby striker scoring twice.

Rivis’ strike-partner Luke Tateson also notched a goal, while central midfielder Luke McLaren also got his name on the scoresheet.

Goalkeeper Daniel Jeminson was the man of the match for the victors.

Ryedale Sports Club Reserves suffered a 2-0 home defeat against Eskvale & Cleveland League outfit Loftus Athletic.

The home side dominated the first half, but Loftus roared back into action after the break and scored twice to seal the win.

Ryedale were forced to re-shuffle their team again as the first-team were short of players for their match.

On 18 minutes Steve Stead had a great run only to be brought down 25 yards from goal. Matty Gardner took the free-kick curling his effort around the wall and, with the keeper stranded, it hit the post.

Six minutes later Stead’s 20-yard volley, after a goalmouth scramble was cleared, forced a great save by the home keeper.

Left-back Alex Ibbotson then made a solo run to play Gardner in, and he put Tom Tate through one on one with the keeper trying to chip him, but his shot just shaved the bar.

Ryedale kept pushing for the opening goal with some great football from the whole team, but they failed to make their pressure pay off and this returned to haunt them after the break.

The hosts were forced to make a change early in the second half, with Toby Tyler not able to carry on which changed the whole game as Ryedale seemed to lose their shape.

Loftus were well on top from start of the whistle to score on 58 minutes, a free shot with no defenders closing him down.

This became 2-0 five minutes when a great strike left Ryedale’s young keeper Tim Wincup with no chance.

Ryedale had only one chance in the second half, Dobson testing the keeper from distance in the 82nd minute.

Manager Shaun Hornby said: “The man of the match award went to Ibbotson but it was a great all -round team performance as all the lads played out of their skins.”

Slingsby suffered a 7-0 hammering at Lealholm.

Midfielder Frazer Hall was the star man for the beaten visitors.

Old Malton St Mary’s 2nds lost out 6-4 at home to Flixton, while Filey Reserves won 3-2 at Cayton and Edgehill Reserves saw off visitors Whitby RFC 5-2.

Aislaby United attempt to play their home cup clash against Lingdale United this Saturday - as last week’s was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.