Ryedale seal spot-kick success

Action from Ryedale versus Edgehill at Mill Lane Pickering. 121605'Picture by Dave Kettlewell.'16/04/2012
Action from Ryedale versus Edgehill at Mill Lane Pickering. 121605'Picture by Dave Kettlewell.'16/04/2012

RYEDALE held their nerve from the penalty spot to secure League Cup success at Pickering Town’s Mill Lane last night, but they had to do it the hard way.

Edgehill just shaded the opening 45 minutes, but there were few chances of note, a solitary save from Ryedale’s Rob Campbell to deny Jamie Patterson the only real time either keeper was called into action.

Steven Clegg’s men took the lead after 52 minutes when Paul Allick, who managed to avoid an early bath just before the interval after an off-the-ball incident with Ryedale’s Adam Hornby, burst clear of a handful of challenges and drove a superb effort into the top corner.

Edgehill looked to press home their advantage and Dean Craig had a shot saved before Ricky Nock had his appeals for a penalty waved away.

Ryedale battled away and found themselves level in the 73rd minute.

Their only real moment of incision saw the pacy Hornby break free down the right before sliding the ball back to Matty Allison, who swept into the bottom corner neatly.

Edgehill keeper Jamie Haxby made a neat stop down to his left, before his opposite number Campbell had to save well from substitute Martyn Ferrey’s free-kick.

Edgehill thought they’d reclaimed their lead after 80 minutes, but vociferous celebrations were cut short when the linesman flagged for a foul on keeper Campbell.

Another chance fell to substitute Dean Lill in stoppage time, his effort was again saved by Campbell with Ferrey unable to pounce on the rebound and the game went into extra-time.

Campbell’s reaction stop was the only moment of note in a poor first half in extra-time, no Edgehill player following up to take advantage of his parry.

Ryedale had two opportunities to steal the win in the second half, Haxby making a point-blank stop before a chance on the edge of the box was spurned by a Ryedale man, whose shot was closer to the corner flag than Haxby’s goal, and the game headed to the penalty spot.

Things were looking good for Edgehill as Ricky Greening’s penalty put Edgehill 1-0 up after Haxby had saved well.

Ryedale netted though and Dean Craig’s miss levelled things up.

All six of the remaining players managed to tuck away their penalties, Edgehill’s Paul Watson, Patterson and Ferrey all showing cool heads to beat Campbell.

It looked like an Edgehill win was on the cards as Haxby saved again, but Aaron Jenking was denied by Campbell and the chance of victory was spurned.

Danny White and Matty Allison both scored to make it 5-5, before Martin Myers sent Haxby the wrong way for 6-5.

Dean Lill’s penalty hit the post and Ryedale celebrated League Cup success.