SATURDAY CUP: Ayton win District semi-final thriller

editorial image

Ayton claimed a late 4-3 District Cup semi-final win in a thriller at home to Eastfield to secure their second final berth in as many weeks, Newlands claiming revenge for their Harbour Cup defeat against Filey Town with a 5-1 home success against the Clarence Drive club.

Scarborough FA District Cup


Ayton 4 (Pickering, Peel, Roberts pen, Wright og) Eastfield 3 (own goal, Caw, Hegarty)

A pulsating District Cup semi-final ended in a 4-3 win for Ayton in a thriller against a depleted Eastfield team, the visitors fighting back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2, only for the home side to hit two late goals to secure their final spot in as many weeks.

Ayton opened the scoring in the 10th minute, lone striker Mikey Pickering cutting in from the right wing to fire a fierce shot into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Pickering then turned creator for Ayton’s second goal, cutting the ball back for Dan Peel to fire home.

Eastfield came back strongly after the interval, a Si Rigg own goal giving the visitors an early lift.

Before this goal, Pickering spurned a great chance to score, missing the target after breaking through to go one on one with the Eastfield keeper.

Buoyed by the own goal, Eastfield - who only had 11 players and no subs - pulled the scores level with an Ali Caw effort and Nick Hegarty put the away side in front with 15 minutes remaining and the villagers’ hopes of a second successive semi-final win looked to be over.

Player-boss Steve Roberts then made a tactical switch, pushing Chris Stubbings up from left-back to the left wing and this swiftly paid off as the latter was brought down in the area by Eastfield defender Chris Mann. The penalty-kick was despatched by Roberts to set up a thrilling climax to this end-to-end encounter.

The late winner was a cruel blow for Eastfield, their centre-back Arran Wright deflecting Mark Vasey’s probing cross - after the latter had linked up well with Daz Hastie - past his own keeper and into the net.

Roberts said: “Stubbings and Mikey Pickering were the men of the match for us in a great display. Eastfield also played very well in this great semi-final packed full of chances with both teams going on the attack.”

Eastfield’s man-of-the-match award was shared between all 11 players as they battled to the end despite most of them being forced to play in unfamiliar positions due to the absence of first-team regulars Chris Ferrey, Danny Price and Mark Barber.

Newlands 5 (Exley 2,Logan 2, Jenkinson) Filey Town 1 (Pinder)

Newlands gained instant revenge for their Harbour Cup semi-final defeat against Filey last week by coming from 1-0 down to defeat them 5-1 in the final four of the District Cup.

James Pinder gave Town the lead after just five minutes, and the visitors could well have been 2-0 up if Ricky Tomlinson had capitalised upon a one-on-one with the home keeper, but after this missed chance Newlands took a firm grip of the cup tie.

Sean Exley equalised for Shaun Mancrief’s team with a fine solo run, beating several Town players before slotting home and he then gave the hosts the lead with a similar strike before half-time.

Three goals in seven second-half minutes then killed off the game, Billy Logan rounding the Filey keeper to make it 3-1 then lobbing his shot in from 18 yards to pull them three goals clear.

The hosts saved the best to last, with central midfielder Danny Jenkinson, who was Newlands’ man of the match, racing from the half-way line and beating three players before smashing an unstoppable strike past the Town keeper.

Liam Sugden was named as Town’s man of the match for a strong display at left-back.