SATURDAY CUP & DIV 2: Eastfield sink holders Filey

editorial image

Coastal Shellfish League Cup holders Filey Town suffered a 3-1 defeat at Eastfield, who have now won three games in three under new boss Lee Tate, and in the Trophy Traders League Trophy United Sports Bar eased to 10-2 win at Cayton and in division two there were wins for leaders Edgehill Reserves, Snainton and Newlands Park Reserves.

Coastal Shellfish League Cup

Eastfield 3 (K Tate 2, Hegarty) Filey Town 1 (Tomlinson)

A Kris Tate double helped Eastfield to their third win in three games under new boss Lee Tate, the latest triumph a 3-1 defeat of League Cup holders Filey.

After a goalless first half - which was dominated by the home side - Eastfield finally broke the deadlock through skipper Kris Tate on the hour mark.

With only nine minutes left, Filey levelled through winger Ricky Tomlinson and the visitors may have expected a late rally but it was the home team who struck two more to kill the game off late on.

Central midfielder Kris Tate restored Eastfield’s lead in the 84th minute after fine approach play from Danny Kelly and Ali Caw.

Man of the match Arran Wright, who got through a lot of work in his central midfield defensive role, set up Nick Hegarty to slot in the third and final goal after a strong run.

Ayton Reserves 0 Sleights 9 (Jake Faichney 4, Watson 3, McCarthy, Hardy)

Jake Faichney smashed in four goals to help second division promotion-chasers Sleights stroll to a 9-0 win at third division Ayton Reserves.

The former Whitby Town marksman - who was also named as the man of the match - proved too hot for a depleted home side to handle, with Ben Watson also firing in three goals.

Mark McCarthy and Andy Hardy also netted for the visitors who could won by even more if James Fawcett had not had both his penalty-kicks saved by home keeper Mat Vincent.

Trophy Traders League Trophy

Cayton Corinthians 2 (Dennis pen, Newbold) United Sports Bar 10 (Rackham 4, Rose 3, L Vasey, Battye, Moore)

A virtuoso display from USB midfielder Georgie Rose saw him score three goals and set up several others in his side’s 10-2 League Trophy win at second division rivals Cayton.

Craig Rackham also banged in four goals but former Pickering Town ace Rose was the winner of the man-of-the-match award.

A first-half-header from Charles Battye, along with second-half strikes from Liam Vasey and Tim Moore completed the scoring for USB.

Cayton’s Micky Dennis had levelled the scores at 1-1 from the penalty spot after Paul Amoah had been fouled and the home side struck the bar with a shot shortly afterwards, but the away team took a firm grip of the game from then on.

The second consolation pulled it back to 6-2, Luke Newbold scoring the goal of the game with a vicious 30-yard volley that dipped over the USB keeper.

Man of the match for Cayton was 16-year-old Josh Lewis in central midfield.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division two

Snainton 5 (S Holt 2, K Cooper pen, Mintoft, Wallace) FC Rosette 3 (Shaw, Blackburn, L Wardle)

Snainton edged further away from the drop-zone with a 5-3 home win against rivals FC Rosette.

The Newby side took the lead through Wayne Shaw but striker Shane Holt levelled for the hosts with a cracking shot from 20 yards.

Tom Blackburn made it 2-1 to Rosette but again the villagers battled back to equalise, this time through a Karl Cooper penalty after Liam Mintoft had been fouled in the area.

After the interval Snainton stepped up a gear and went ahead for the first time through Sam Wallace after he latched onto a pass from Holt.

A 25-yard screamer from Mintoft then gave Leigh Watson’s side a two-goal cushion and Holt capped a man-of-the-match performance with his second, another fierce shot from 18 yards.

Lee Wardle struck a third for Rosette, but it came too late to save Paul Scott’s side.

Filey Town Reserves 1 (Coyne) Edgehill Reserves 5 (JP Watson 2, M Ferrey pen, Pickles, Whitaker)

Edgehill Reserves remain on track for the second division title after a hard-earned win at a determined Filey Town Reserves, who belied their position at the foot of the table.

JP Watson put the visitors in front, slipping the ball into the net after the home keeper failed to hold onto a powerful shot.

Town right-back Billy Coyne had a goal disallowed in the first half, and Max Gage also had a powerful shot saved so Dan Kempson’s side were pushing hard.

Coyne’s persistence paid off 10 minutes into the second half when he side-footed in at the back post to level the scores.

The hosts then pushed three men up front as they sensed a chance for a shock win, but five minutes later Edgehill were back in front when Tony Pickles was adjudged to have been fouled in the area and despite the Filey protests referee Alan Marshall awarded a penalty to Edgehill, which Martyn Ferrey slotted home.

Sub Dave Bell then made an instant impact, running through and smashing his shot against the post, Pickles firing the rebound in.

Ten minutes from time, from a corner, JP Watson headed into the top corner of the net to make it 4-1 and sub Stephen Whitaker timed his run into the box well from right midfield to net his first-ever Edgehill goal to cap the victory.

Max Gage was named man of the match for Town while left-back was the star man for Dan I’Anson’s team.

Newlands Park Reserves 8 (Delve 4, Bates 3, Stride) Rillington Athletic 2

Four goals from Luke Delve and a Stu Bates hat-trick steered second-placed Newlands Park Reserves to an 8-2 home win against second-from-bottom Rillington.

Adam Stride also netted for the home side, who led 4-0 at half-time and were 6-0 up before the village side struck a couple of late goals.

Newlands boss Joe Hakings said: “Referee Nigel Trotter should be commended for a brilliant performance.”