SATURDAY CUP & DIVISIONS 2 & 3: Pier march on

editorial image

West Pier eased into the next round of the Coastal Shellfish League Cup with a 6-1 win at second division, while United Sports Bar returned to winning ways in division with a 3-0 success at Rillington and Sleights coasted to a 4-1 triumph against visitors Filey Town Reserves, while leaders West Pier Reserves won 4-1 at home to Scalby Reserves in division three.

Coastal Shellfish League Cup

Snainton 1 (Mintoft) West Pier 6 (Sygrove 3, G Thomas, S Garnett, own goal)

A first-half hat-trick by journeyman striker Gareth Sygrove helped West Pier on their way to a 6-1 win at second division side Snainton in the Coastal Shellfish League Cup.

Sygrove’s strikes put top-flight Pier in charge, leading 3-0 at half-time.

Sam Garnett made sure of the win for Andy Spivey’s side, though Liam Mintoft scored a stunning goal from the touchline to bring the villagers back into the cup-tie.

The home side’s hopes were dashed late on by a Gaz Thomas penalty and an own goal.

Central midfielder Paul Cassidy and Sygrove shared the Pier man-of-the-match award, while veteran Mike Horsley impressed yet again for Snainton.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division two

Rillington 0 United Sports Bar 3 (Breckon, Vasey, Williamson)

United Sports Bar returned to wining ways with a hard-earned victory at Rillington.

Player-boss David Oxley was delighted that his side showed their best form in the first game of the new year.

“We have not won for a few games so to get back to winning ways was a great start to 2014.

“Rillington worked hard, especially in the first half, so we did well to keep going and secure all three points.”

Left-winger Tez Breckon scored the first goal for United after only 10 minutes, applying the finishing touch to a superb move started by keeper Oxley and which involved nine of the 11 visiting players.

Just before half-time another team move saw right-winger Liam Vasey slot home to double the away team’s lead.

Twenty minutes from time a stunning long-range shot from striker Tom Williamson wrapped up the three points for United.

Central midfielder Sean Buckross earned the man-of-the-match honours for United.

Sleights 4 (Watson 2, Faichney, McCarthy) Filey Town Res 1 (Young)

A second-half double from Ben Watson helped promotion-chasing Sleights hit back from 1-0 down to triumph 4-1 at home to basement club Filey Town Reserves.

James Young struck early on to give Dan Kempson’s visitors the lead, and it took until just before half-time for Jake Faichney to level the scores after a driven cross from the left wing by Watson.

The latter then went on to net a second-half double as Sleights took command of the game, a Mark McCarthy goal finishing off the challenge of Town.

Central midfielder James Fawcett was the man of the match for Sleights, while Joe Eblet was the star man for Filey.

Division three

West Pier Reserves 4 (Speight 2, Atkinson, Barker) Scalby Reserves 1 (Turley)

West Pier Reserves extended their lead at the top of the third division to six points thanks to a disciplined performance at home to a plucky Scalby Reserves side.

Martin Atkinson opened the scoring for Dave Crawford’s side after 15 minutes, but as the first half progressed Scalby came more into the tie.

On the hour mark Nick Turley brought the scores level with a measured finish and the visitors then struck the post after another counter-attack.

Pier had most of the possession after the break though, and this paid off on 75 minutes when Will Garnett’s inch-perfect free-kick was headed in by Rob Speight.

Mikey Barker made sure of the win for the home side in the 85th minute, the former Boro striker racing free of the Scalby defence and slotting his shot low past the Scalby keeper. The visitors’ woes deepened within seconds as they had a player sent off for a second bookable offence.

Speight struck again in the final minute to compound Scalby’s misery, with even Pier boss Crawford admitting that the scoreline did not reflect the village side’s efforts and contribution to the match.

Crawford said: “We could easily have been 2-1 down as Scalby kept working hard, we were grateful to those three late goals for the win.

“This keeps us in front of Whitby although they do have games in hand on us. Will Garnett was superb in midfield and was our man of the match.”

Seamer Sports Reserves 1 (M Morris) Commercial 8 (Day 4, Youngson, Somers pen, Nelson, Jowett)

Mikey Day smashed in four goals as Commercial battled back from 1-0 down to claim an 8-1 win at Seamer Sports Reserves, the away team scoring six goals in the final half-hour - after the villagers’ had been reduced to 10 men.

A cracking left-footed 20-yard drive from Matty Morris gave Seamer the lead 20 minutes into this cup-tie, but Commercial roared back into contention with a series of shots, only fine saves from the hosts’ man of the match, keeper Darrol Lewis, maintaining the lead for Gary Dixon’s team.

Player-boss Macauley Youngson finally broke through for the visitors, his 20-yard free-kick sailing over the wall and past Lewis to make it 1-1 at the interval.

The scores were still level on the hour mark, but then came the turning point of the match, left-back Andrew Merrygold instinctively saving a goalbound shot on the line, and being shown the red card for the incident which saw Seamer concede a penalty.

Ryan Somers fired in the penalty, despite Lewis getting a hand on it and Day then headed in a Somers cross to make it 3-1, the striker scoring his second shortly afterwards to effectively seal the win.

Jackson Jowett finished expertly after being left one on one with Lewis and centre-back Chris Nelson powered in the sixth from a corner.

Day then capped a cracking display with two finishes with his weaker left foot, the first a 20-yard chip and the second a shot after being left one on one with Lewis.

Nelson and Day shared the man-of-the-match award for the victors while Lewis was the star man for Seamer.