Saturday cup reports: Scalby penalty kings net final spot

editorial image

Third division Scalby Reserves pulled off the shock result of the day, winning 4-1 in a penalty shoot-out against second division promotion-chasers Flixton in the League Trophy semi-final, with Falsgrave, Filey and Ayton also earning cup wins.

Trophy Traders League Trophy semi-final

Scalby Reserves 2 (Brown, Davies) Flixton 2 (Scutt og, Hughes) aet, Scalby Res win 4-1 on penalties

Division three outfit Scalby Reserves booked their spot in the final of the League Trophy with this hard-earned win at home to Flixton, who are in the hunt for promotion from division two.

Player-manager Daniel Gregory saved two penalties in the shoot-out, with Dave Simpson scoring the winning spot-kick, after his brother Rich, Jake Scutt and Carl Townley also successful from the spot.

The visitors made the ideal start when they opened the scoring from a mix-up in the home defence, Gregory and Scutt the unfortunate Scalby players at fault, Tim Jackson’s effort being deflected in by Scutt.

It did not take long for Scalby to hit back, the in-form Michael Brown levelling the scores with a close-range finish in the 10th minute.

The home side went in front on the half-hour mark when Gaz Davies fired in at the back post.

Two minutes before half-time Rich Simpson was adjudged to have handled in the area and a penalty was awarded. James Hughes’ spot-kick was blocked by Gregory, but the striker responded quickly to slot home the rebound to make it 2-2 at half-time.

In the second half Flixton dominated possession for the opening 25 minutes but failed to create many clear-cut chances, it was Scalby who had the best opportunity to win it in the second half, Carl Townley’s shot cleared off the line by Flixton.

In extra-time it was Scalby who once again had the best chances, Davies’ volley saved superbly by Luke Chambers and the rebound being blocked on the line.

Neither side managed to break through in extra-time so the semi-final went to penalties.

Rich Simpson fired in the first penalty, then Gregory saved Matty Hobson’s spot-kick. Scutt made it 2-0 then Gregory blocked Craig Garton’s penalty, and a Townley spot-kick put Scalby 3-0 ahead. Luke Midgley netted for the visitors but Dave Simpson’s effort fired the Otters into the final.

Boss Gregory said: “I am proud of all the lads as they were superb against a top second division side. Jez Clifford was outstanding in the centre of midfield, but they all performed well.

Flixton’s Matty Hobson said: “Rich Garton was our man of the match at centre-back. I would like to wish Scalby all the best in the final as they played very well.”

Third round

Falsgrave 4 (Tolliday 2, Williamson, Anderson) Edgehill Reserves 1 (Watson)

A Rich Tolliday double helped fire Falsgrave into the semi-finals, where they will face division three high-flyers FC Soba.

Kurt Williamson and Mikey Anderson also netted for Billy Johnson’s second division promotion-chasers.

Man of the match for the home side was Kieran Link, who was dominant in the centre of midfield throughout.

JP Watson had levelled the scores for Edgehill in normal time, but the hosts took charge in extra-time.

Scarborough & District FA Harbour Cup semi-final

Filey Town 7 (J Pinder 2, P Dickens, W Hunter, Johnson, Sugden, Philliskirk) Lealholm 3

Division one title contenders Town secured their spot in the final of the Harbour Cup with a hard-earned home triumph against Eskvale League outfit Lealholm.

James Pinder smashed in two goals for Dave Brannan’s troops, with veteran Les Johnson, Will Hunter, Liam Sugden, Jordan Philliskirk and Phil Dickens - with a cheeky backheel - also on target for Filey.

Right-winger Ricky Tomlinson and central midfielder Philliskirk both impressed for Town.

Coastal Shellfish League Cup quarter-final

Ayton 3 (McNeil, Hamilton, Fryirs) Cayton 0

Ayton cruised into the last four of the League Cup with a straightforward win against second division strugglers Cayton.

Steve Roberts’ side opened the scoring with a great Chris McNeil header from a Neil Fryirs free-kick.

A strong run and cross from left-back Chris Stubbings then set up Alex Hamilton to make it 2-0 from close range.

Cayton came back into the game after the break, but failed to score and five minutes from time a Hamilton run and pass was collected by Fryirs, who beat the Cayton keeper with a clever finish from a tight angle.

Roberts said: “Stubbings was our man of the match for a strong display at left-back, he never stopped running throughout the cup-tie. But overall it was a great team effort to get us into the semi-finals.

“We have done brilliantly in the league this season but a cup win would be a great way to finish the season. I think we play Edgehill in the semi-final on Saturday so it will be a tough game.”