SATURDAY CUPS: Ayton and Filey pull off Harbour semi-final shocks

editorial image

Filey Town defeated runaway league leaders Newlands Park 6-5 on penalties and division one basement club Ayton pulled off a shock 2-1 win at third-placed Edgehill in the FA Harbour Cup semi-finals, while Newlands’ second string had a better day, winning 2-0 at USB to book a spot in the League Trophy final - their first-ever final appearance.

Scarborough & District FA Harbour Cup (sponsored by Mick Grimes Shellfish Ltd of Scarborough)


Newlands Park 0 Filey Town 0, Filey Town win 6-5 on penalties

Filey Town stunned league leaders Newlands Park by knocking them out of the Harbour Cup at the final hurdle 6-5 on penalties after a goalless 90 minutes.

Skipper Ben Briggs, who was named as their man of the match for a strong display at centre-back against the league’s highest goalscorers, fired in the crucial penalty for Town.

Town started brightly, but Newlands soon took charge and only a superb save from young Filey keeper kept a goalbound effort from Billy Logan out in the 25th minute.

More fine saves from Crawford kept the visitors in the game, while the defence of Briggs, Will Hunter, Liam Sugden and Gaz Wardle also worked extremely hard to deny a Newlands team that has scored 116 goals in their 18 wins in 18 league games so far this season.

Filey had started the second half brightly, but in the closing moments they were hanging on and only a glaring late miss by Jordan Mintoft, who hit the bar with an open goal in front of him, maintained the equilibrium.

The penalty-scorers for Town were Lalan Flynn, Will Hunter, Wardle, Jordan Philliskirk, Ricky Tomlinson and Briggs.

Town manager Jay Taylor said: “I am absolutely delighted that we have managed to hold the league leaders, my defence was immense as was young keeper Josh Crawford. This now sets it up nicely for next week’s District Cup semi-final, which is against Newlands again.”

Park boss Shaun Mancrief said: “We had so many chances we should have won the game, but their young keeper had a great game.

“We need to look to the next semi-final now and also concentrate on getting the points we need to win the league title.

“Our top players were right-back Jonny Manson and left-sided midfielder Jamie Gallagher.”

Edgehill 1 (Dodson pen) Ayton 2 (Roberts, Cooper)

There was also a massive cup shock in the other semi-final as basement club Ayton won 2-1 at third-placed Edgehill.

The villagers were the better team throughout, but they went behind on 20 minutes when centre-back Si Rigg brought down tricky winger Aaron Jenking in the penalty area and Shaun Dodson converted the spot-kick.

This did not throw Ayton off their stride and they continued to play attractive football, earning their reward for this approach with a leveller five minutes before the half-time interval.

Mikey Pickering launched a long pass into the area, the ball eventually coming back out to player-manager Steve Roberts on the edge of the penalty area and he drilled in a half-volley to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Five minutes into the second half Ayton’s busy approach to the game paid off again, a strong run from full-back by Chris Stubbings saw him pull the ball back across goal and Josh Cooper slid in at the far post to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Roberts also hit the post and Mark Vasey fired his spot-kick over the bar late on after Stubbings had been fouled, but, despite a late revival from Edgehill, the visitors held on to book their spot in the final against Filey Town.

Roberts said: “The lads were all outstanding today all 14 involved deserved a share of the man-of-the-match award as we played our best football of the season today.”

Edgehill manager Steven Clegg said: “Ayton were just more up for the game today and they took their chances well, apart from our hard-working striker Ricky Greening, who was man of the match by some distance, we were poor.”

Trophy Traders League Trophy semi-final

United Sports Bar 0 Newlands Park Reserves 2 (Delve 2)

Newlands Park Reserves striker Luke Delve scored both goals as his side eased into the League Trophy final - their first-ever final appearance - with a 2-0 win at division two rivals United Sports Bar.

A fine save from player-boss Dave Oxley in goal for the hosts denied Delve an opener in the 10th minute from the penalty spot.

Delve made up for this miss 15 minutes later when his bullet header from a Stefan Moon free-kick put the visitors in front. Only a string of fine saves from Oxley kept the home side in the cup tie.

Striker Delve fired in a free-kick into the bottom corner with the last kick of the match to secure a spot in the final on Monday April 2 at Pickering Town, 7.30pm kick-off, against division three side Whitby RFC.

Man of the match for Joe Hakings’ team was right-sided midfielder Sam Chambers, but Hakings was quick to praise the team’s all-round efforts in the cup victory.

Oxley was the star man for United Sports Bar, who will now switch their attentions to earning promotion as runners-up in division two.