SATURDAY CUPS: Edgehill edge past Pier to net semi-final spot

editorial image

Edgehill booked a spot in the semi-finals of the League Cup with a hard-earned 1-0 win at West Pier, while Newlands Park Reserves and United Sports Bar both claimed home wins to march into the final four of the League Trophy, beating Scalby 6-0 and Sleights 6-2 respectively.

Coastal Shellfish Saturday League Cup quarter-final

West Pier 0 Edgehill 1 (Greening)

A solitary Ricky Greening strike earned Edgehill a place in the semi-final of the League Cup after this 1-0 win at fellow division one side West Pier.

Ben David’s shot from the edge of the penalty area in the 10th minute was forced home by Greening from close range and into the back of the Pier net.

A depleted visiting team also hit the woodwork when centre-back Shaun Dodson’s free-kick cannoned back off the crossbar.

David also missed a great chance to make it 2-0 before half-time, missing the target from only three yards out after the bar had taken a wicked bobble.

Pier took advantage as the re-shuffled Edgehill side tired soon after half-time, but despite having lots of possession they failed to create many clear-cut chances.

Edgehill boss Steve Clegg singled out central midfielder Kieran Link as their man of the match.

Trophy Traders League Trophy quarter-final

Newlands Park Reserves 6 (Bates 4, 1 pen, Delve, Brown) Scalby 0

Newlands Park Reserves hot-shot Stew Bates smashed in four goals as his side eased into the semi-finals of the League Trophy with a 6-0 home win against second division rivals Scalby.

Hughie Brown opened the scoring for the hosts, and Bates capitalised upon an error in the villagers’ defence to make it 2-0.

Luke Delve headed in a third for Joe Hakings’ team and the win was confirmed by Bates’ second, the forward tucking away a shot past Scalby keeper Matthew Scott after latching onto a great through-ball.

Bates completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot and he completed a four-goal haul with Park’s sixth of the day.

Brown and Bates shared the man-of-the-match award, while keeper Scott was Scalby’s star man in spite of the scoreline.

United Sports Bar 6 (G Rose 2, L Vasey 2, 1 pen, Walters, Buckross) Sleights 2 (Faichney 2)

United Sports Bar battled back from 2-0 down to see off second division promotion rivals Sleights 6-2 in their League Trophy quarter-final.

Jake Faichney struck twice early on to put the villagers in control of this cup-tie, but the home side refused to submit and fought their way back into the match.

Darren Walters pulled a goal back for the hosts 10 minutes before half-time and Georgie Rose levelled for Dave Oxley’s side just before half-time.

Twenty minutes into the second half USB went ahead thanks to a second goal from Rose, and Liam Vasey fired in the fourth to put the home side in charge of the game.

A great run from Walters was halted by him being fouled in the penalty area, Vasey smacking home the penalty and the home side saved the best until last with Sean Buckross smashing in a half-volley from 30 yards to fly into the net past the Sleights keeper.

The back three of Tony Stubbings, Terrence Breckon and Charles Battye were named as the star men for the victors.