SATURDAY DIV 3: Basement club Seamer stun depleted leaders Pier

editorial image

Basement club Seamer Sports Reserves pulled off a stunning 6-0 win at third division leaders West Pier Reserves, allowing their rivals Whitby RFC and Athletico2B, who both claimed home victories, to make ground on the table-toppers.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division three

West Pier Reserves 0 Seamer Sports Reserves 6 (Forsyth, own goal, Dawson, Connor Myerscough, Mason, Walker)

Seamer Sports Reserves claimed only their second win of the season with an outstanding 6-0 success at leaders West Pier Reserves.

Matty Forsyth scored the opener for basement club Seamer, with an own goal making it 2-0 to Gary Dixon’s side at half-time.

Former first-team manager Matty Dawson, who has dropped down to the reserves since quitting as boss of the top-flight side, added a third with a 12-yard left-footed shot early in the second half.

Pier, who were only able to field 11 players and no subs, had no answer to the visitors’ barrage of attacks, the fourth goal coming from youngster Connor Myerscough, who smacked in a 20-yard thunderbolt.

Sub Ben Mason then made it 5-0 with a left-footed strike, and fellow super-sub Sam Walker completed the rout with a left-footed effort of his own.

Left-back Jake Moore was named as the man of the match for Gary Dixon’s team, with young keeper Josh Broadhead also pulling off some top saves.

Pier are now only three points clear of Whitby RFC, who have six games in hand, while third-placed Athletico2B are 10 points behind with seven games in hand.

Whitby RFC 4 (Kilpatrick 2, Ross, Crabtree) Westover Wasps Reserves 1 (Wood)

Whitby RFC boosted their title push with a 4-1 win at home to Westover Wasps Reserves.

The home side went 1-0 ahead thanks to a Mikey Kilpatrick strike after latching onto a precise through-ball from Marc Usher.

Five minutes before half-time Travis Wood levelled for the visitors, lifting the ball over the home keeper Sam Gale after collecting a long pass out of the Westover defence.

Ste Mothersdale’s troops restored their lead in the 50th minute, Paul Jobling’s throw-in was flicked on by Usher and Ste Ross smacked his shot into the bottom corner of the goal.

The home side made it 3-1 through centre-back Josh Crabtree’s six-yard strike after a Jobling corner had been headed down by Usher.

Whitby wrapped up the win with Kilpatrick’s second of the game, Jobling again creating the chance for the hosts with a well-flighted cross.

Chad Swales was named as the Whitby man of the match for a tireless display in the heart of the home side’s midfield.

Athletico2B 4 (Goodwin, David, Stockell, Kirkup) Falsgrave Reserves 2 (Goodworth pen, M Reddy)

Athletico2B returned to winning ways after last week’s cup semi-final loss, claiming a 4-2 home win against Falsgrave Reserves.

A long pass from midfield general Chris Bowman set up Shaun Goodwin to put the hosts in front on 15 minutes and player-boss Nick David added a second with a stunning 30-yard free-kick which fizzed into the top corner of the net.

Falsgrave reduced the arrears with a Ryan Goodworth penalty after the home keeper had fouled a Falsgrave player in a one-on-one situation, the keeper being shown a yellow card.

Two minutes before half-time the home side were back in control when they added a third with a header from Adam Stockell which looped over the Falsgrave keeper after Stockell had raced onto a long through-ball.

Three minutes after the interval Falsgrave boosted their chances of a comeback when Mark Reddy fired in the visitors’ second goal at the back post.

The hosts worked hard to hang onto their lead and made sure of the win four minutes from time when Steve Kirkup, with his back to goal, lobbed the Falsgrave keeper from 30 yards out.

David said: “They were a very hard-battling team. Leon Dunn and Damian Dale played well but our man of the match was left-back Ben Sheader.”

Falsgrave Reserves boss Lee Smythe added: “The moment when we won the penalty but their keeper was not sent off despite being last man, was a turning point. I don’t like to see men sent off but if it is the letter of the law then he should have gone. We would have then been only one goal behind with a player advantage and it could have made it a very different game.

“Our man of the match was Joe Sunter, who was outstanding after coming as a fifth-minute sub for the injured Clayton Walker.”

Scalby Reserves 0 Commercial 1 (Youngson)

A last-gasp strike from Macaulay Youngson secured a win for Commercial in a dour encounter at Scalby Reserves.

In an uneventful clash, Youngson ran onto a pass from Mikey Day to score the winner in the 87th minute.

Left-back Macauley Moore was named as the man of the match for Scalby, with centre-back Adam Smith the Commercial star man.

Sleights Reserves 0 Ayton Reserves 1(Craven)

Ayton Reserves earned a 1-0 win at a strong Sleights Reserves side thanks to Mark Craven’s early breakaway goal.

The visitors went ahead in the 15th minute, defender Paul Thornton setting Craven free at the halfway line with a great pass and the striker raced away to smash the ball past the home keeper.

Sleights, who were strengthened by first-team striker Ben Watson, looked for a leveller after the break with a strong wind at their backs, but stout defence from Mark Plumpton’s team saw them hold firm and secure the three points.

Thornton hit the post for Ayton in the second half and Craven also headed wide but a great save from keeper Ross Gill to thwart Watson in the 75th minute proved to be crucial .

Plumpton admitted the man of the match honours should be shared by the team after a hard-working display.