SATURDAY DIVISION 1: Filey grab late point in derby thriller

editorial image

Two late strikes from Filey Town earned them a Scarborough News Saturday League division one point at Hunmanby United in a highly-charged local derby, while leaders Newlands scored late on to win 4-3 at home to Seamer Sports - having trailed 3-0 to the villagers after 20 minutes - to maintain their 100 per cent record.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division one

Hunmanby United 4 (Duley 2, Dobson, Wedge) Filey Town 4 (Dickens 2, Tomlinson, Wardell pen)

Two last-gasp efforts from Filey Town saw them snatch a points at Sands Lane against Hunmanby United after a thrilling 4-4 draw.

Striker Chris Duley put United in front with an exquisite 25-yard chip, but a 15-yard header from Phil Dickens saw them bring the scores level.

Former Town player Dave Wedge restored Hunmanby’s lead with a fine finish after a long throw.

Cameron Dobson made it 3-1 almost straight from the kick-off of the second half, rifling home from 10 yards out.

Ricky Tomlinson chipped the United keeper to reduce the deficit only for man of the match Duley to volley home an unstoppable shot from 30 yards to make it 4-2 and seemingly hand Hunmanby the three points.

Two minutes from time Dickens pounced to score his second and cut the lead down to one goal and six minutes into injury-time ref Nigel Trotter awarded a penalty, which Wardell despatched to earn the visitors a share of the spoils.

Newlands 4 (Logan 3, Exley) Seamer Sports 3 (Clough 2, Bradbury)

Shaun Mancrief’s league leaders Newlands somehow managed to recover from falling 3-0 behind to Seamer after just 20 minutes to win the game 4-3 thanks to a late goal from hat-trick hero Billy Logan

Daniel Bradbury opened the scoring for Seamer, and Boro Reserves striker Darren Clough - who netted twice for the Athletic first team in midweek in a cup game - then took centre stage with a quickfire brace, his second an instinctive thumping volley after the ball had bounced from behind him.

Slowly a shell-shocked Newlands regained their composure and they pulled two goals back in the 40th and 43rd minute to haul themselves back into the contest.

Sean Exley scored first with a neat finish after some first-class passing, Logan adding the second just before half-time to give the home side hope of a great escape.

Matty Dawson’s side refused to submit, the defence - which consisted of midfielders Dawson, Jake Moore, Sam Sweeting and Joe Tiffany - showing great resilience, but finally in the 72nd minute Logan netted his second to make it 3-3 and just before the 90-minute mark Logan completed his hat-trick to snatch all three points for the leaders, who have now won 10 out of 10 league games this season.

The defeat was rough justice on Seamer, who battled bravely throughout, with Moore their man of the match.

Danny Jenkinson was named as the star man for the pacesetters for a strong display in midfield.

Westover Wasps 3 (Rose 2, L Jones) Eastfield 1 (Heggarty)

Westover Wasps continued their resurgence under new player-boss Jamie Heritage with this 3-1 win at home to 10-man Eastfield.

In a goalless first half stand-in Eastfield keeper Martyn Ferrey saved a Curtis Rose penalty, and the striker also missed a good chance when one on one with Ferrey.

Rose soon made up for his earlier misses when he put Wasps ahead early in the second half after a fine pass from Luke Jones.

The forward then struck his second to put Westover in control, but a cracking drive from Nick Heggarty pulled Eastfield back into the match.

Man of the match Rose then set up Jones to smash home an 18-yard shot to restore Wasps’ two-goal lead.

Ayton 3 (M Vasey 2, L Glaves) Ryedale Sports Club 2 (J Richardson 2)

Mark Vasey was quick off the mark with a double to help Ayton secure a 3-2 home win against Ryedale Sports Club.

Liam Glaves opened the scoring for the home side, the right-winger smashing his shot in at the back post.

Striker Vasey then headed Ayton 2-0 in front and the same player’s hunger for goals showed again when he notched again on the half-hour mark.

Ryedale came back into the game after the break and their efforts bore fruit with two goals from Joel Richardson.

His first goal, in the 70th minute, was created by good work from Adam Hornby down the right who drilled it across the six yard box for Ryedale man of the match Richardson to tap home.

His second came just two minutes later from a one-two between Tom Croot and Jack Hall who played in the striker one on one and he slotted home.

Left-winger Chris Stubbings was the Ayton man of the match.

Whitby Fisherman’s Society 0 Edgehill 1 (G Hepples)

A solitary strike from Gary Hepples earned Edgehill a crucial 1-0 win at basement club Whitby Fisherman’s Society.

Gary Hepples and his brother Carl were both able to turn out for the visitors due to Boro Reserves not having a fixture, and the former Athletic first-teamer showed his class 10 minutes before half-time with a clinical strike.

Edgehill were continually thwarted by a superb display by the home keeper.

The visitors had a goal disallowed after the break, the ref waving play on after Gary Hepples appeared to slip and foul a home player, and the visitors put the ball into the net . The match official pointed to the centre-spot having awarded the goal only to change his mind after consulting with a linesman.

Gary Hepples and Kieran Link shone in central midfield for the victors.

West Pier 2 (M Cooper, N Thomas) Falsgrave 2 (G McGough, Mahoney)

Champions West Pier lost more ground on the pacesetters after being pegged back to a 2-2 home draw by Falsgrave.

Goals from Martin Cooper and Neil Thomas looked to have put Pier in the driving seat but Gavin McGough’s stunning shot from long-distance on the half-hour mark brought them back into the game and the visitors started to force the pace.

Sam Mahoney equalised for Billy-Jo Johnson’s side in the 60th minute, although Pier boss Spivey was less than happy with the strike being allowed.

He said: “This was a controversial goal as he seemed to be yards offside but the ref waved play on and he went on to finish nicely. A draw was probably the fair result but we were left frustrated by not capitalising upon a dream start.”

His counterpart Johnson said: “We were better than them and deserved the victory really but had to take a point. Cam Malcolm, at right-back, was our man of the match.”