SATURDAY DIVISION 1: Filey see off champs West Pier

Filey Town
Filey Town

Filey Town boosted their title hopes with a 2-0 defeat of champions West Pier at Clarence Drive, while Hunmanby left it late to win 1-0 at Ryedale, and Falsgrave won 5-0 at Eastfield, the other game in the top flight ending 1-1 between neighbours Ayton and Seamer Sports.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division one

Filey Town 2 (Cappleman, Tomlinson) West Pier 0

Filey Town played well to earn a 2-0 home win against holders West Pier, boosting Jay Taylor’s side’s bid to keep in touch with leaders Newlands.

The home side opened the scoring eight minutes before half-time, good approach play from Ricky Tomlinson setting Lee Cappleman up to net past the Pier keeper.

Town had several chances in the first half, James Pinder and Phil Dickens both missing chances, but the home side had to be content with a slender 1-0 lead at the interval.

Seventeen minutes into the second half, Tomlinson made it 2-0 to Filey, after good work down the left from Liam Sugden and Phil Dickens.

Taylor was delighted with his side’s performance: “We played very well to beat the defending champions. We are still a long way behind Newlands but there is a long way to go and as long as we keep winning - we have not lost since the opening-day defeat to Newlands - we can keep the pressure on them.

“Sugden, in right midfield, and striker Phil Dickens both stood out for me today in a good all-round-team display.”

Eastfield 0 Falsgrave 5 (Ellis 2, Kwiatkowski 2, Spooner)

Braces from Nick Ellis and Adrian Kwiatkowski helped Falsgrave to a cracking 5-0 win at Eastfield.

Craig Spooner netted the other goal for a depleted visiting team, who included boss Billy Johnson in their line-up.

The Falsgrave man-of-the-match award was shared by Ellis and Alan McCarten.

Ayton 1 (Stubbings) Seamer Sports 1 (Mason)

A last-minute strike from Chris Stubbings earned Ayton a 1-1 draw at home to fellow strugglers Seamer Sports.

After a goalless hour, Ben Mason’s powerful 18-yard shot put Matty Dawson’s side in front, and with Danny Bradbury having had two shots saved and another placed wide, this was probably a deserved lead for the away team, who had shaded the opening exchanges of the second half after an opening 45 minutes which was fairly scrappy and even.

The Mason strike seemed to wake Ayton up and they piled on the pressure looking for a leveller, but a determined Seamer back four looked to have held strong until a late free-kick was conceded and Mark Vasey’s free-kick was passed to Stubbings to slot home.

Lone striker Vasey and left-winger Dan Peel impressed for Ayton, while centre-backs Matty Silk and Greg Chadwick, along with forward Bradbury, were the star men for Dawson’s troops.

Ryedale Sports Club 0 Hunmanby United 1 (Chapman)

Matty Chapman’s last-gasp lob earned a weakened Hunmanby United a 1-0 win at Ryedale, after the visitors had found themselves defending for most of the match.

Ryedale dominated possession but paid the price for a string of missed chances, Jamie Fewster missing from a yard out, Rob Stead unable to find the target from six yards and Sam Turnbull falling over his own feet when just three yards out from goal. The United keeper also pulled off several first-class saves to deny the home side.

Hunmanby, who were without seven players, were a constant danger on the counter, netted the win in the final move of the game, Chapman lobbing in after a rebound.

Darren Unsworth was the star man for United, while Sam Burns was named as the Ryedale man of the match.

North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup

Third round

Edgehill v Hillside- postponed, Hillside failed to raise a side so Edgehill progress to the quarter-finals.

Guisborough Globe 1 Whitby Fisherman’s Society 1, Globe win 3-2 on penalties

Whitby Fisherman’s Society bowed out of the competition 3-2 on penalties at Guisborough Globe despite a plucky effort.

The division one strugglers held the home side to a 1-1 draw in normal time, but the shoot-out saw the Whitby lads go out to leave Edgehill as the only Scarborough League side in the final eight of a competition won by West Pier last season.