SATURDAY DIVISION 1: Pier dig deep to net win

editorial image

West Pier were forced to battle back from 2-0 down to beat 10-man visitors Whitby Fisherman’s Society 5-2, and Edgehill defeated Hunmanby United by the same scoreline while leaders Newlands Park defeated visitors Ayton 4-0 and at the other end of the table Ryedale won 4-3 at Falsgrave and Westover won 5-1 at Seamer Sports.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division one

West Pier 5 (Provins 2, D Cooper, S Garnett, G Thomas) Whitby FS 2 (Hart, Goldsmith)

West Pier battled back from two goals down to earn a 5-2 home win against relegation-battling Whitby Fisherman’s Society, the visitors looking the better side for the first hour despite having a man sent off after just 15 minutes.

Neil Hart opened the scoring for the Whitby side, who were then reduced to 10 men when a player was sent off for his second bookable offence.

In spite of this the away team were the better team for the rest of the first half and also started strongly in the second period, doubling their lead in the 55th minute through Connor Goldsmith.

Pier chief Andy Spivey then brought on veteran Danny Cooper and he made an instant impact.

The super-sub pulled a goal back for Pier and then his flick-on set up Paul Provins to turn the game on its head.

Tiredness then crept in, and in the 75th minute, seasoned campaigner Provins pounced to net his second and put Pier in front.

Gareth Sygrove then set up Sam Garnett to slide in a fourth and then with the last kick of the game Gary Thomas netted thanks to a fine solo run and great finish from an acute angle.

Spivey said: “Whitby were the better team for the first hour, even after having a man sent off, but we just hung on and got late goals as they tired.

“Danny Cooper was the man of the match as his arrival from the bench changed the game for us.”

Whitby Fisherman’s chief Mark Storr said: “All 10 players deserve credit for their hard work as we were down to 10 men for 75 minutes, I think the sending-off was debatable and having one player less eventually caught up with us in the last 15 minutes or so.”

Edgehill 5 (R Greening 2, Link, D White, Collins) Hunmanby United 2 (Dobson 2)

Edgehill smashed in four goals in the 15 minutes before half-time to effectively put the visitors Hunmanby out of contention in this game, the hosts eventually triumphing 5-2.

The first half-hour was evenly-contested, but a Danny Collins strike, followed by Ricky Greening’s brace and a Kieran Link effort put the home side 4-0 ahead at the break.

Ten minutes into the second half Cameron Dobson went up for a 50/50 with the Edgehill keeper in the air and got his head to the ball first to pull a goal back for United.

With 10 minutes the away team struck again, with Dobson taking a couple of Edgehill defenders on and firing in from 25 yards to make it 4-2.

Edgehill added their fifth through Danny White to wrap up the three-point haul.

Shaun Dodson and Gary Hepples shared the man-of-the-match award, while Dave Tonks was Hunmanby’s star man.

Newlands Park 4 (Logan 2, Exley, Jack Hakings) Ayton 0

Newland had to work hard to maintain their flawless league record by earning a 4-0 home win against struggling Ayton.

Billy Logan smashed in a brace of goals to continue his astonishing scoring record for the league leaders, while his striking partner Sean Exley also got his name on the scoresheet.

Jack Hakings completed the win for Shaun Mancrief’s side.

Mancrief said: “This was a scrappy match, and Ayton gave us a good match and should have come away from the game with something.”

Seamer Sports 1 (Lawton) Westover Wasps 5 (McCallion, Jones, Rose, Matson, O’Flanagan)

Westover Wasps boosted their bid to avoid the drop with a 5-1 win at relegation rivals Seamer Sports.

Two early goals gave the Wasps a flying start. Aidan McCallion side-footing in the opener after Seamer failed to clear a cross from Ryan Matson.

Luke Jones hit the second after dinking his shot over the Seamer keeper.

Seamer got their way back into the game on the half-hour mark with a goal from Gary Lawton.

Westover restored their two-goal lead after the interval when Luke Jones crossed the ball in for Kurtis Rose to head in, then Matson added a fourth to seal the win for the visitors.

Sub Sam O’Flanagan capped the win with a close-range volley in the closing minutes.

Midfielder Sean Bloom was the man of the match for Wasps.

Falsgrave 3 (Anderson 2, Malcolm) Ryedale Sports 4 (Burns 2, one pen, Turnbull, Hornby)

Ryedale Sports Club moved off the foot of the table with a crucial 4-3 win at Falsgrave.

Adam Hornby opened the scoring for Ryedale after 10 minutes thanks to great work from Sam Burns.

Ryedale made it 2-0 when Burns fired in a fierce strike from 20 yards 10 minutes before half-time.

The visitors started the second period at a fast pace and scored a third in the 50th minute through hard-working man of the match Sam Turnbull.

When the hosts took their foot off the gas, Falsgrave pulled a goal back on the hour mark and they netted again from the penalty spot in the 80th minute to set up a tense finale.

Burns then put Ryedale 4-2 up in the 86th minute with a great solo goal, and although Falsgrave netted again late on Ryedale hung on for the win.

Mike Anderson scored twice for the home side while Cameron Malcolm also netted, with Lewis Short their man of the match.