SATURDAY DIVISION 2: Edgehill Reserves sink Sleights

editorial image

Edgehill Reserves tightened their grip on pole position in division two with a convincing 5-0 win at fellow title contenders Sleights, while Newlands Park Reserves overtook the Whitby side and claimed second spot thanks to a 7-1 win at struggling Snainton.

Division two

Sleights 0 Edgehill Reserves 5 (Cummings 2, JP Watson, Prosser, Pickles)

Three second-half goals in the space of five minutes helped Edgehill secure a 5-0 win at title rivals Sleights.

Dan I’Anson’s team opened the scoring in the 25th minute through a Liam Cummings tap-in after a fine through-ball from midfielder Jason Prosser.

The hosts showed few signs of the form that had seen them climb into second spot, and in the 55th minute Cummings pounced to fire in from eight yards after a fumble by the home goalkeeper.

Two minutes later a JP Watson at the back post made it 3-0 and an almost identical header from Prosser increased their advantage further in the 59th minute.

The away side completed the scoring in the 80th minute with a powerful low shot by Tony Pickles from 25 yards out.

In a great all-round team performance from Edgehill, I’Anson singled out centre-backs Paul I’Anson - his elder brother - and Tom Hickin for their strong display, especially in keeping out the usually prolific Sleights striker Ben Watson.

Filey Town Res 2 (J Hunter 2) Flixton 6 (Dixon 3, Chambers 2, one pen, Midgley)

Flixton secured a crucial win at Filey Town Reserves to ease their relegation worries.

Luke Chambers opened the scoring in the 20th minute for the villagers, and the same player then struck from the spot after Rob Dixon had been fouled in the area.

Dixon then made it 3-0 with a low finish into the bottom corner of the net from 12 yards out.

Luke Midgley scored just before half-time with a close-range finish after beating two Town defenders.

The home side, who were once again without several first-choice players, gave Flixton a fright when two long-range strikes from left-back Jonny Hunter pulled the score back to 4-2, the first a 25-yard thunderbolt into the top corner on 5o minutes and the second a powerful drive from the edge of the area in the 55th minute.

Flixton were then forced to defend well for a 10-minute spell as Town piled forward looking for more goals, but a cracking volley from Dixon made it 5-2, and the striker capped the win - and his hat-trick - with another neat finish just before the final whistle.

Star man Dixon, along with centre-backs Craig Sherwin and Rich Garton, played well for Flixton, while Town’s man of the match was striker Jordan Powell, with midfielders Dave Brannan Jnr and Tom Haxby also impressing.

Scalby 4 (A Townley, C Townley, Scales, Hartnett) United Sports Bar 3 (Rackham 2, Rose)

Kev David’s Scalby side hung on for a superb 4-3 win against promotion-chasers United Sports Bar.

The village team went ahead against the run of play in the 25th minute, a superbly executed free-kick from Carl Townley finding his brother Ash, who headed past the United keeper and into the net.

Georgie Rose levelled for the visitors just before half-time, forcing home a rebound past keeper Matty Scott.

Shaun Scales restored Scalby’s lead early in the second half, and further goals from Carl Townley and Mike Hartnett - both coming after mix-ups in the United defence - gave the villagers a three-goal advantage.

Two late efforts from Craig Rackham pulled the score back to 4-3 and a combination of crucial saves from Scott and dogged defending by the home side saw them hang on for the win.

David singled out midfielder John Bateman, Scott and Scales for special praise in a fine win for Scalby, Liam Vasey impressing for the visitors.

Snainton 1 (Webster) Newlands Park Res 7 (Delve 3, Tadman 2, Gallagher, Moon)

Newlands Reserves moved into second spot thanks to a 7-1 win at basement club Snainton.

Leigh Watson’s side took the lead through a Mike Webster header, but a close-range finish and a penalty - awarded for a bizarre punch by Webster from a corner.

The visitors romped clear with five further goals after the interval.

Luke Delve led the visitors to victory with a hat-trick, which earned him the man-of-the-match award, while James Tadman scored twice, with Jamie Gallagher, who also shone for Park - and Stefan Moon - direct from a corner - completing the scoring.

FC Rosette 4 (L Wardle 2, J Wray, Shaw) Rillington Athletic 0

A Lee Wardle double helped FC Rosette on their way to a home 4-0 win against lowly Rillington.

Wardle’s brace of instinctive finishes set the Newby side on the right track, and when Jamie Wray drove his effort into the net in the 25th minute the points were in bag for the hosts.

Rillington came back into the game more after the interval, but they failed to turn their possession into goals and an 80th-minute strike from Wayne Shaw wrapped up the win for the pub team.

Centre-back Dave Bates, central midfielder Al Wray and striker Wardle shone for the victors.