SATURDAY DIVISION 2: Edgehill win nine-goal thriller at Falsgrave

An unlucky own goal in the dying moments handed Edgehill Reserves a thrilling 5-4 win at Falsgrave Athletic in an action-packed Division Two encounter.

Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette
Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette

Player-boss Martyn Ferrey put the visitors in front with a free-kick and Kieran Grzesiowski added a second goal after fine work from Shaun Outhart.

Falsgrave refused to submit and levelled the scores with a double from Mark Reddy, who led the front line superbly for the hosts all game.

On the stroke of half-time Edgehill restored their lead thanks to a storming strike from centre-back Damian Robinson.

Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette

Jaroslaw Szczesny levelled for the home side after the interval but Grzesiowski added a fourth to put Edgehill on top before Reddy completed his hat-trick and it looked like Falsgrave had earned a share of the spoils.

Heading into the final seconds, Tommy Day raced forward for Falsgrave and looked set to score, his shot hitting one post but as Day reeled away to celebrate a winner the ball hit the other post and came out, Robinson smashed the ball upfield over the home defence, and after a scramble Simon Young, who had been outstanding for the hosts at centre-back, diverted the ball into his own net to hand Edgehill the points.

Ferrey said: "That was a superb game of football and I have to applaud Falsgrave for how well they played, Simon Young was so unlucky with that own goal as he was their best player while Mark Reddy was also hard to cope with up front.

"This is the kind of football that should be played on Saturday afternoons, there was plenty of action but it was played in the right spirit, it is just a shame that the game ended with one of us winning in that manner.

Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette

"Grzesiowski and Jon Cairns deserve a lot of credit for us, but overall the whole team played very well."

Falsgrave boss Lee Smyth added: "It was such a great effort from the lads in a brilliant game of football, Simon Young and Mark Reddy both played very well for us."

Leaders Filey Town Reserves edged closer to the title with a 2-0 home win against basement club FC Rosette.

Billy Coyne opened the scoring five minutes before the interval, applying the finish after a scramble in the Rosette goalmouth, and Joe Gage secured the win just after the hour mark with a clinical finish.

Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette

Coyne had a superb chance to add a third, but his spot-kick hit the crossbar, and although he slotted home the rebound it was disallowed as the keeper had not touched the ball.

Teenage centre-back Ellery Liley was named as the man of the match for the home side.

Seamer Sports Reserves are still in the title race after their 4-2 home win against West Pier Reserves.

Nick Hegarty scored twice for Seamer with Lee Tate and Danny Exley also on target, Pier's goals coming from Jack South and their man of the match Mikey Anderson.

Filey Town Reserves, yellow and blue kit, take on FC Rosette

Tate and Hegarty shared the man of the match honours for the victors.

A Dan Pickard hat-trick fired Goalsports to a 4-1 win at a depleted Newlands Park Reserves.

Mike Grayshan opened the scoring for the visitors after fine approach play from Daniel Appleby, with only just over two minutes on the clock.

Pickard scored twice before the break to put Mark Plumpton's side in charge.

Sub Dougie McGregor scored late on for Newlands, but man of the match Pickard soon restored his side's three-goal lead with his hat-trick goal.

Striker Joe Hitchcock, who set up McGregor's goal, was the star man for Newlands.

Scalby earned a 3-2 home win against Duchess in the early kick-off.

Dave Oxley opened the scoring for the hosts, but Ian Laing levelled for Paul McBean's side before the interval.

Craig Rackham made it 2-1 after the break, and Ash Townley's effort secured the points for Sam Medd's side, despite an 80th-minute header from Rich Garton.

Left-back Callum Randerson was man of the match for Scalby, while the outstanding Tom Hicks was the star man for Duchess.