SATURDAY DIVISION 3 & TROPHY: Pier back on winning form

editorial image

Third division leaders West Pier Reserves returned to winning ways with a 5-1 success at Cayton Corinthians Reserves, while second-placed Whitby RUFC won 6-3 at Westover Wasps Reserves and Athletico2B saw off Scalby Reserves 4-1.

Division three

Cayton Corinthians Reserves 1 (Durham) West Pier Reserves 5 (Speight 3, Scotter, Weetman)

Pacesetters West Pier Reserves recovered from their defeat against title rivals Whitby RUFC in the previous week to see off hosts Cayton Reserves 5-1 in this one-sided encounter.

Rob Speight fired into the bottom corner of the net to put Pier in front, with a Jamie Scotter header doubling the away side’s lead, Chris Weetman adding a third as Pier’s pressure paid off.

Speight smacked a shot into the top corner of the net early in the second half to seal the win, a 25-yard lob from Ash Durham giving Cayton brief hope of a revival.

Striker Speight completed his hat-trick with a header at the back post to quash any Cayton hopes, and cap a display which earned him the man-of-the-match award.

Ray Thorpe and Will Garnett also excelled for the visitors, while 39-year-old midfielder Daz Stabler rolled back the years with a vintage display for the hosts.

Westover Wasps Reserves 3 (Thornton, Castleton, Wood) Whitby RUFC 6 (Kilpatrick 2, Craig, own goal, Ross, Jobling)

Whitby RUFC saw off a determined Westover Reserves side - led by new boss Jason Fenwick - 6-3 in an action-packed clash.

Ste Mothersdale’s side took the lead early on when Paul Jobling’s cross found Damon Craig, whose bullet header from 12 yards gave the home keeper no chance.

Wasps levelled on 20 minutes with a far post header from striker Sean Thornton after a well-flighted free-kick.

Jobling was once again the creative force for the visitors’ next goal, spinning and turning neatly on the edge of the 18-yard box then threading the ball through to Mikey Kilpatrick, who slotted his shot into the net.

Westover made it 2-2 with a spectacular 30-yard shot from midfielder Neal Castleton, but again Whitby replied, this time with an own goal brought about by a Jobling cross.

Shaun Wood then volleyed in from 18 yards to leave the scores locked at 3-3 at half-time.

The visitors stepped up a gear after the break and piled forward, but despite stubborn defending from Wasps, the away team restored their lead on the 70-minute mark when Kilpatrick raced down the left, crossed into the area, the home keeper dropping the ball and Ste Ross reacting quickest to slot the ball into the net.

It was Kilpatrick again who was at the heart of the next goal, forcing his way down the wing and beating two defenders before firing past the keeper with a low shot.

In the closing moments man of the match Jobling finally gained his reward for his efforts, turning his defender before shooting in from the edge of the area.

Centre-back Lee Donaldson was the Wasps man of the match.

Athletico2B 4 (A Stockell 2, Hart, Hansell og) Scalby Reserves 1 (Clifford)

A double from Adam Stockell helped Athletico2B come back from 1-0 down to win 4-1 at home to Scalby Reserves.

Jez Clifford gave the visitors an early lead, seizing upon an error by home keeper Nick David.

The hosts only had 10 men for the first 20 minutes, and they were still trailing at the half-time break.

Stockell smashed in a 25-yard shot to level the scores, but Scalby were then awarded a penalty which David saved to keep it at 1-1.

Athletico2B went ahead through Stockell, then Sam Hart, who arrived late due to illness, scored after a great turn and strike across the Scalby keeper.

The win was confirmed when Hart’s pressure forced centre-back Karl Hansell to put the ball into his own net.

Damian Dale was man of the match for the home side for the second successive week, with Leon Dunn a close second, but all 11 players for the home team deserve credit for their display.

Commercial 3 (Youngson 3) Sleights Reserves 2 (M Brennan, Watson og)

A hat-trick from player-manager Macauley Youngson helped Commercial to a 3-2 home win against Sleights Reserves.

The home side started strongly, but despite creating several chances they failed to break through and - against the run of play - the village side went ahead through a 10th-minute own goal from Ben Watson after a setpiece.

This failed to deter Commercial, who continued to apply the pressure and levelled when Youngson fired in after a Watson header.

On the hour mark Macauley Riley set up Youngson to put the home side in front, but in a rare break for the villagers Rob ingham raced past three home defenders before being brought down just outside the area, Mike Brennan smashing home the resulting free-kick.

Commercial weren’t to be denied and secured the points when Youngson slotted in after a rebound, and matters got worse for Sleights when skipper Lee Graham was sent off for two cautionable offences.

Left-back Liam Jennings was Commercial’s man of the match.

League Trophy

Ayton Reserves 5 (Stubbings 4, Mockridge) Falsgrave Reserves 1 (Hansen)

A four-goal salvo from striker Tyson Stubbings helped his Ayton Reserves side stun high-flying fellow third division side Falsgrave Reserves.

Stubbings netted either side of half-time to put Ayton 2-0 up, and matter got worse for Lee Smythe’s side when Mark Reddy’s spot-kick was skewed well wide.

Hot-shot Stubbings then completed his hat-trick, and although Zak Hansen’s fine solo goal gave Falsgrave hope, further goals from Marcus Mockridge and Stubbings sealed their place in the next round.

Stubbings was named as man of the match for Ayton, with centre-back David Ledden also putting in a good shift, while left-back Jack Brown was the star man for Falsgrave.

Seamer Sports Reserves 2 (Layton 2) Cayton Corinthians 4 (Newbold, Cook, Whitelaw, Dennis)

Second division Cayton worked hard to see off division three strugglers Seamer Reserves in this Trophy clash.

Efforts from Luke Newbold and Damon Cook had Cayton 2-0 up at half-time, but Seamer’s star man Dan Layton pulled a goal back early in the second half.

Jamie Whitelaw soon restored Cayton’s two-goal lead with a 40-yard run and smart finish, Mickey Dennis’ 18-yard shot making sure of the win.

Layton hit a second late on for Seamer but it was too little too late for the determined hosts.

Sixteen-year-old left wing-back Curtis Foreman was the Cayton man of the match, with fellow teenager, keeper Josh Brown, also making some cracking saves for Shaun Rennison’s team.