Saturday division one: Pier and Filey locked in title battle

editorial image

Contrasting wins for leaders West Pier and second-placed Filey Town ensured that the division one title race will go down to the wire.

Division one

West Pier 2 (Meads, M Cooper) Seamer 1

Defending champions and current leaders Pier were made to work hard for a home victory by a plucky Seamer outfit.

The home side took the lead on the half-hour mark when a Martin Cooper corner was headed in by Phil Meads.

Just before half-time Pier doubled their advantage when good work from Will Jenkinson found Martin Cooper who then threaded a lovely ball for Tommy Barker to run on to and finish nicely.

Seamer responded immediately after the break with a nice finish, however further chances were at a premium and Pier held their nerve defensively to see the game out.

Pier boss Andy Spivey gave full credit to Seamer for making his Pier side work so hard for a crucial three points.

Filey Town 8 (W Hunter 3, Johnson 2, P Dickens, Tomlinson, Pinder) Whitby Fishermen 1 (M Swales)

Full-backs Will Hunter and Les Johnson led the goal-rush as Town kept the pressure on leaders Pier with this accomplished performance.

Left-back Hunter smashed in a treble, including the opener, while stalwart Johnson bagged a brace of goals for the hosts.

Phil Dickens, winger Ricky Tomlinson and youngster James Pinder completed the rout.

Town face Eastfield at home on Monday and then a potential title decider against Pier at Clarence Drive on Wednesday evening.

Filey boss Dave Brannan said: “Considering how hard we worked on Wednesday to win the League Cup final I am very proud of the level at which the lads performed to beat a good side such as Fishermen in this fashion. It is all set up for a cracking finish to the season now, if we can beat Eastfield at home on Monday then we entertain Pier two days later for a crunch game.

“I am very proud of how well our lads have done, especially as we have a much smaller squad to call upon than Pier.”

Fishermen man of the mnatch was their goalscorer Mark Swales.

Edgehill 4 (A Coulson 2, Warnett, Craig) Ayton 1 (Rigg pen)

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill side recovered from losing the League Cup final to Filey with a fine home win against Ayton, the three points lifting the victors into fourth spot above their opponents.

The hosts fielded a depleted side, so Clegg was delighted with the result: “We only really had 11 players and a sub, the squad was stretched to its limits. Martin Coulson was man of the match, performing excellently in his first game back after a long spell out injured, he was superb in midfield.”

Martin’s older brother Alec opened the scoring for Edgehill, chesting the ball into the net from five yards after an excellent run and cross by fellow veteran Paul Watson.

Ayton levelled before half-time when Dan Jones brought down Neil Fryirs in the penalty box, Si Rigg converting the spot-kick.

Edgehill restored their lead early in the second half when Phil Warnett latched onto a through-ball and shot in off the post.

Sub Dean Craig - who had come on for the injured Aaron Jenking on the half-hour mark - made it 3-1 with a neat finish.

Alec Coulson completed the scoring with a stunning solo goal, the rejuvenated forward racing forward taking the ball past two defenders and then feinting one way and going the other to confuse the Ayton keeper and lifted the ball over him to make it 4-1.

Fishburn Park 2 Hunmanby United 3

United confirmed their first division status for another season with this victory, while Park are set to finish bottom of the table, in one of the two relegation spots.

Westover Wasps have finished second from bottom and look set to join Park in the second division next season, although this is subject to any re-shuffles to the divisions at the league’s AGM in June.