SATURDAY DIVISIONS 2 & 1: Edgehill Reserves win title

editorial image

Danny I’Anson’s unbeaten Edgehill Reserves side sealed the second division title with a hard-earned 3-1 win at Snainton, while Sleights moved back into second place with a 7-3 victory at second-from-bottom Cayton and in division one Eastfield added to Ryedale’s relegation worries with a 3-1 success.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division two

Snainton 1 (Holt) Edgehill Reserves 3 (Jackson, Dennis, Jones)

Danny I’Anson took his Edgehill Reserves team back to his old club Snainton and secured the league title with a hard-earned 3-1 win.

The jubilant boss said: “I knew that my old teammate Leigh Watson, who is player-boss at Snainton and also used to play for Edgehill, would not make it easy for us today and this was a very tough game for us.

“The Snainton lads had a set gameplan to absorb our pressure and it paid off for long spells and we had to be patient to secure the three points but we did so in the end.

“I am really chuffed to have won the title - now I want to go the whole season unbeaten by winning our final two matches. We may not have done so well in the cups but we have made up for it in the league, the lads have performed superbly all season and thoroughly deserve their success.”

Ryan Jackson opened the scoring on 25 minutes with a cracking strike, chesting the ball down and firing a volley low into the bottom corner across the face of goal after fine approach play from JP Watson.

Rob Holt levelled the scores with an equally spectacular strike, turning his marker, flicking the ball up in the air and lobbing his effort over stand-in keeper Dave Bell - another former Snainton player - and into the net.

Snainton continued to work hard after the break and Bell pulled off a crucial save to deny Tommy Day with the scores still locked at 1-1.

Sub Lee Dennis finally restored the lead for Edgehill in the 75th minute, using his pace to get free on the left flank and his shot proved too strong for the home keeper to hold onto and crept into the net.

Three minutes later Daniel Jones sparked the title celebrations with a bullet header from a corner.

Tom Scales was named as the Edgehill man of the match for a hard-working display up front.

Scalby 0 FC Rosette 3 (AWray 2, Deyes)

FC Rosette edged closer to securing their second division status thanks to a comfortable 3-0 derby win at Scalby, who look like being dragged into the relegation dogfight.

The visitors were always on top, but they took until the 35th minute to take the lead, a great cross fizzed in by Wayne Shaw was forced in by 17-year-old Jamie Deyes, his first goal for the club.

Another fine cross from Shaw was tapped in by Al Wray to double Rosette’s lead after the break and the win was sealed 20 minutes from time when Wray smacked in a fierce left-footed shot.

Centre-back Guy Newbold was named as the Rosette man of the match, while Shaw and Wray also impressed, as did the industrious lone striker Tommy Blackburn. Danny Wedge was the star man for Scalby at centre-half.

Cayton Corinthians 3 (Newbould 2, Amoah) Sleights 7 (Wiggins 2, Fawcett, Roe, Leadley, Taylor, Rhucroft)

Sleights fought back from 2-2 down to win 7-3 at second-from-bottom Cayton Corinthians, a result that lifts them above USB and back into second spot in division two.

A Luke Newbould free-kick and a Paul Amoah strike had put Cayton 2-1 ahead after the visitors struck early on, but two goals before half-time proved crucial as Sleights went back in front.

Sleights went 4-2 up after the break and although Newbould struck again to give Cayton hope, Sleights hit three late breakaway goals to secure the three points.

Sam Wiggins, who scored twice, was the Sleights man of the match, while James Fawcett, Ryan Rose, Sam Leadley, Simon Taylor and Ian Rhucroft also netted for James Howard’s team. Central midfielder Ashley Durham was Cayton’s star man.

Division one

Ryedale Sports Club 1 (Hall) Eastfield St James 3 (Wright 2 pens, Thomas)

Eastfield looked to have quashed any lingering relegation worries with a 3-1 win at second-from-bottom Ryedale Sports Club.

Aidan Thomas opened the scoring for the visitors in the 10th minute and the score remained the same until half-time.

The visitors made it 2-0 20 minutes into the second half with an Arran Wright penalty after a foul by Martin Myers, and five minutes later a poor challenge from Sam Turnbull saw Wright smash in his second spotkick to wrap up the points.

Sub Jack Hall gave Ryedale a late glimmer of hope in the 78th minute when he scored with a well-taken effort but it prove to be too little too late for Lee Thackeray’s side, who may need to win their four games to avoid the drop into division two.

Central midfielder Danny Kelly was the man of the match for Lee Tate’s side, while his fellow midfielder Dom Barber also impressed for an Eastfield side missing several key players due to injuries and work commitments. Boss Lee Tate will be hoping that these players return in time for Saturday’s District Cup semi-final with Ayton.

Falsgrave 0 West Pier 3 (G Thomas 2, M Cooper)

A Gaz Thomas double helped West Pier win 3-0 in a keenly-contested clash at Falsgrave.

Thomas opened the scoring on the half-hour and added a second after the break with a shot which looped over the home keeper after a deflection.

Pier wrapped up the points with a Martin Cooper strike in the 80th minute, after his initial shot rebounded back out to him.

Andy Spivey, West Pier manager, said: “The scoreline was a bit harsh on Falsgrave who had good, clear chances to score, and only a spectacular overhead kick clearance from our man of the match Andy Sheader maintained our clean sheet.”

Mike Anderson and Nick Stancill impressed for the home side.