SATURDAY DIVS 3 & 2: Craig treble boosts Whitby title bid

editorial image

Whitby RFC battled back from 1-0 down at half-time at Scalby Reserves to win 5-1 and keep their third division title hunt on track, with rivals Athletico2B netting a late 2-1 win at Ayton Reserves, while second division pacesetters Edgehill Reserves won 2-0 at basement club Rillington and relegation-battling Filey Town Reserves won 2-1 at Snainton.

Scarborough News Saturday League Division three

Scalby Reserves 1 (Turley) Whitby RFC 5 (Craig 3, Hogarth, Usher)

Whitby RFC winger Damon Craig was the hat-trick hero as his side battled back from 1-0 down at half-time to earn a 5-1 win at Scalby Reserves and keep their division three title bid on course.

Nick Turley put the young village team ahead on the 20-minute mark with a great finish and they were deservedly ahead at the interval.

Within a minute of the re-start in the second half, Whitby were on level terms when Craig’s near post volley from a Paul Jobling cross beat the Scalby keeper.

Left-back James Inglis then went on a mazy run from left-back and he released Craig who fired his shot into the top corner of the net. Craig then completed his hat-trick with a neat finish after fine approach play from Chad Swales.

Whitby went 4-1 ahead when Ben Hogarth beat the home keeper after being teed up by Ste Ross. Hogarth then set up Marc Usher for the fifth and final goal.

Craig was named as the man of the match for the victors, but he was pushed close by marauding full-back Inglis, while Scalby supremo Jeff Brader said all 11 of his young players deserved a share of the star man award.

Ayton Reserves 1 (Richardson) Athletico2B 2 (P Pickard og, Goodwin)

A late Shaun Goodwin strike secured the three points for promotion-chasing Athletico2B at a fast-improving Ayton Reserves.

The visitors went ahead when a 20th-minute free-kick hit the post and hit the back of stand-in keeper Phil Pickard and went into the net. Ten minutes later Tyler Richardson levelled with a thumping 25-yard shot that fizzed into the top corner.

Ayton defender Paul Thornton, who had been a tower of strength, limped off after the interval and this left Ayton vulnerable in defence and a missed header in the 80th minute proved costly as Goodwin took advantage and slotted the ball home.

Thornton and midfielder Marcus Mockridge shared the star man honours for Ayton.

Sleights Reserves 2 (Ingham, Wiggins pen) Westover Wasps Reserves 7 (Wood 3, Brunger 2, Hope, Shaw)

A Travis Wood masterclass helped Westover Wasps Reserves record a magnificent 7-2 win at Sleights Reserves.

Wood put Wasps ahead after 15 minutes with a lobbed shot after fine work from Jordan Shaw, and the visitors won the ball back from the re-start to go 2-0 up, Wood again on target this time with a 25-yard thunderbolt into the top corner of the net.

Sean Hope’s bullet header and a Wood penalty for his hat-trick - after Leon Muggleson had been fouled - helped Wasps build a 4-0 lead after just 32 minutes.

Rob Ingham pulled a goal back for the hosts, but Paul Brunger replied swiftly for the Wasps to make it 5-1 at the half-time break.

Shaw made it 6-1 after the interval, Sam Wiggins netting a penalty for Sleights after a foul from sub Luke Rainton to reduce the arrears.

Brunger’s second of the game completed the scoring for Wasps, who awarded the man of the match to Travis Wood who also played a part in three goals as well as netting three. Star man for Sleights was Mike Trotter.

Falsgrave Reserves 5 (Hansen, 2, M Reddy, P Reddy, Mealor) Cayton Corinthians Reserves 1 (Szalabski)

A Zak Hansen double helped his Falsgrave Reserves team secure a 5-1 home win against his old side Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Falsgrave debutant Ashley Mealor opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a header from a corner, but Michal Szalabski levelled with a stunning run and powerful shot into the roof of the net.

Hansen restored the lead for the home side with a neat strike after a fine pass from Sean Hughes, and the score remained at 2-1 until half-time.

A defensive blunder from Cayton allowed Paul Reddy in to make it 3-1 in the 55th minute, with further goals from Hansen and Paul Reddy securing the win for Lee Smythe’s troops.

Teenage keeper Josh Brown and young defender Josh Tweddle excelled for the away team, with Hughes and Paul Reddy the star men for the victors.

West Pier Reserves v Seamer Sports Reserves - postponed, Seamer failed to raise side

Division two

Snainton 1 (S Cooper) Filey Town Reserves 2 (M Gage, Smith)

Filey Town edged away from the second division drop-zone with a surprise 2-1 win at Snainton.

Max Gage backheeled his side in front from a David Brann Junior corner on the 15-minute mark and Town doubled their lead just before half-time with a Alex Smith header from a Jonny Hunter free-kick.

The hosts came back into the game after the interval and Sam Cooper rifled home a drive to halve the deficit on the hour mark, but despite Snainton impressing after the interval they failed to further penetrate a dogged Filey defensive line.

Stalwart Mike Horsley was named as the Snainton man of the match for another vintage display up front, while Hunter excelled at centre-back for Filey, with Luke Kempson and Max Gage also impressive.

Rillington Athletic 0 Edgehill Reserves 2 (Ferrey pen, A Coulson)

A Martyn Ferrey penalty and a close-range effort from Alec Coulson secured a 2-0 win for leaders Edgehill Reserves at basement club Rillington.

Edgehill went ahead in the 25th minute when a spot-kick was awarded for a foul on Coulson and Ferrey smacked the ball past the home keeper.

On the hour mark Coulson fired home the second after a goalmouth scramble to secure the points for the Dan I’Anson’s side, who are now 17 points clear of second-placed Sleights.

Right-back Andy Noon and midfielder Ferrey were the stand-out players for Edgehill, while the overall improved battling display from the villagers saw them share their star man award between them.

Cayton Corinthians 1 (Whitelaw) FC Rosette 1 (Blackburn)

Cayton Corinthians came back from 1-0 down to earn a home draw against FC Rosette.

Tommy Blackburn gave the Newby side a deserved lead at half-time, but Jamie Whitelaw’s free-kick on the hour mark saw the hosts earn a share of the spoils.

Paul Amoah shone for Cayton while Guy Newbould was the man of the match for Rosette.