Saturday League: Champions Newlands breeze past Ayton while Filey cruise derby clash

Duchess get on the ball during their 3-1 defeat at Cayton. Picture: Steve Lilly.
Duchess get on the ball during their 3-1 defeat at Cayton. Picture: Steve Lilly.

Newlands continued their solid start to the defence of their title with a comfortable 8-1 win at Ayton.

Shaun Mancrief’s Newlands dominated from start to finish as doubles from Jack Hakings and Adam Stride and goals from Tom Jenkinson, Danny Jenkinson, Chris Dove and Aidan Thomas wrapped up a comfortable victory for the division one champs.

Mancrief singled out Hakings and Danny Jenkinson as his side’s star men.

He said: “We were comfortable all game really. We had lads missing but those who stepped up did the job well.”

Filey Town hammered derby rivals Hunmanby United 9-0.

James Pinder bagged a first-half hat-trick, his third a penalty just before the break, as Filey led 3-0 at the interval.

Cameron Dobson added two more to make it 5-0 after the break before Pinder grabbed his fourth for 6-0.

Lalan Flynn netted their seventh before a Liam Sudgen wrapped things up nicely for Jay Taylor’s men.

Boss Taylor singled out four-goal hero and mercurial forward Cameron Dobson for praise.

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill were also in dominant form as they brushed aside promoted USB 6-2 at Staxton.

New signing Jackson Jowett helped himself to a hat-trick while there were also goals for Ricky Greening, Liam Cooper and Dan Jones.

Boss Clegg said: “We totally dominated the game. We led 1-0 at half-time but it could have been five or six.

“It was a good team performance from the lads though.”

West Pier had to battle back from behind twice to net a hard-fought home win against former manager Paddy Parke’s Seamer outfit.

Seamer led but a superb team move down the Pier left, started by Sam Garnett, was rounded-off by Pier’s returning winger Tommy Barker to level matters up.

A Kurt Williamson own goal handed Seamer the lead again and they held on to take their 2-1 advantage into the interval.

Pier fought back after the break though and the hosts restored parity with a goal against the run of play when Seamer keeper Joe Wright failed to collect a cross and Luke Delve squeezed the ball over the line.

Delve was at it again as he held up the ball and span beautifully before firing into the bottom corner to hand Pier the lead for the first time in the game, before a Garnett beat his man as Pier countered following a spell of Seamer pressure and lobbed the keeper.

Spivey said: “It was a funny old game as we played well in the first half and were 2-1 down at the break, and were quite poor after half-time but managed to get the three goals to win the game.

“It was great to have Tommy Barker back in the side, it was almost like he hasn’t been away.”

Westover Wasps picked up a dominant 6-1 win on the road at promoted Sleights.

Young striker Jordan Shaw was in scintillating form as he bagged a hat-trick, while there were also goals for Chris Cass, Ryan Matson and Luke Jones for Jamie Heritage’s side.

Mark Storr’s Whitby Fisherman’s Society battled to a 3-2 win at Ryedale.

Ian Smith headed in from Steve Swales’ corner to level up after Ryedale had taken the lead before second-half strikes from Sam Bailey and Steve Ross handed the away side the win.

Division two champions Edgehill Reserves took a 7-2 win against West Pier Reserves, who were promoted from the third division.

Young Polish hitman Kieran Grzesiowski was in fine form as he netted a superb hat-trick as Edgehill took a 5-0 lead at half-time, the other goals coming from Joe Logan and Matthew Silk.

Two stunning strikes from Chris Nelson gave Pier hope after the break, but any chances of a dramatic comeback were doused by goals from Martyn Ferrey and substitute Dave Bell, who ambled up the right flank from full-back to net.

Edgehill chief Danny I’Anson singled out Grzesiowski as his side’s man of the match.

Promoted Whitby RFC grabbed a point at home to Newlands Reserves, but they should have taken all three points having led 3-1.

Goals from Marc Usher, Paul Jobling and Sam Richardson handed Ste Mothersdale’s Whitby side a 3-1 lead, but Newlands battled back and following an earlier goal from a Drew McCoubrey free-kick. Stew Bates and Sam Chambers both netted to seal a share of the spoils for the away side, for whom Jack Worthy stood out.

Mothersdale named left-back Ben Sullivan as his side’s man of the match.

Scalby made it two wins from two after they beat Snainton 6-1.

A stooping header at the back post from Jake Scutt made it 1-0 to the hosts before Darren Arnott finished well after Tom Walker’s strike had hit the post.

It was soon 3-0 when left-back Will Bray swivelled in the box and rifled into the bottom corner, before the same man struck the home side’s fourth as they led 4-0 at half-time.

Two goals from young substitute George Wilson handed Daniel Gregory’s side a 6-0 lead before a late consolation from Martin Karetynk ensured things ended up 6-1.

Young right-back Brandon Catherall, Bray and Scutt stood out for the victors, while young winger Nathan Barber was Snainton’s stand-out player.

Filey Town Reserves ensured Rosette’s miserable start to the season continued as they ran in 8-1 winners.

Braces from Tom Haxby and Tom Scales and goals from Jonny Keeble, Ryan Baldry, Max Gage and Lee Cappleman took Town to the top of the table.

Cayton edged past Duchess by a 3-1 scoreline.

Curtis Foreman gambled on a long ball and flicked over the keeper to give Shaun Rennison’s men a 1-0 lead, before Josh Venner beat two men before firing the home side into a 2-0 lead at the interval.

Venner headed in after the break to make it 3-0, before a consolation strike made the scoreline more respectable for Duchess.

Cayton boss Rennison picked out debutant keeper Sam Williams and Venner as his side’s star men.

In the battle of the two newly-formed sides in division three, Eastway Sports battled back from a 1-0 deficit to beat Sherburn 4-1.

Mark Taylor and Craig Moss grabbed a double apiece for Sports, while centre-back Danny Moir took the man of the match honours.

Kris Tate shone as Seamer Reserves cruised to a 5-2 win at Sleights Reserves.

Tate opened the scoring before a Sleights penalty levelled the scoreline up at 1-1.

Seamer led at the break though as Tate’s cross was turned into his own net by a Sleights man.

Another pen levelled matters up again after half-time, but Danny Glendinning put Gary Dixon’s men back in front before Tate fired in a free-kick and a penalty to make it 5-2 and round off the scoring.

Boss Dixon said: “Kris just controlled everything from midfield. He’s a quality player.

“We dominated the game and deserved to take the win.”

Scalby Reserves were 3-2 winners at home to Westover Wasps Reserves at Carr Lane.

Former Scalby man Jack South opened the scoring in stunning fashion as he was afforded too much time and space on the edge of the box and controlled and curled into the top corner brilliantly.

Young midfielder George Wilson levelled up with a tap in but Wasps led again shortly after the break after a Dave Young goal.

Scalby weren’t to be denied though and star man Wilson slammed in from 20 yards to level up before Nick Turley scrambled in under pressure from a defender to win the game for Jeff Brader’s men.

Cayton Reserves were 3-2 winners at home to Tennyson.

Goals from John Hodgson and Nick Hodgson saw the scoreline sitting at 2-2 before Jamie Whitelaw netted to win the game for Cayton.

Falsgrave Athletic also picked up three points from their trip to a depleted Ayton Reserves side.

Falsgrave led 1-0 at the break before Mark Craven hammered in from distance to level matters up.

Athletic took control of the game afterwards though, running in four more goals to take a comfortable 5-1 win.