SATURDAY LEAGUE CUP REPORTS: Edgehill squeeze past Newlands

Edgehill's Lloyd Henderson is tracked by Newlands' man of the match Michael Wilson. Picture by Steve Lilly.
Edgehill's Lloyd Henderson is tracked by Newlands' man of the match Michael Wilson. Picture by Steve Lilly.

Edgehill beat Newlands 4-2 to move into the next round of the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup.

Jamie Patterson handed Edgehill the lead, much to the anger of the Newlands players, who insisted the ball didn't cross the line.

It was soon 1-1 though, Kile Fields smashing in from long-range to level matters up at the break.

Newlands led for the first time in the contest after Liam Mintoft's neat finish at the near post made it 2-1.

Steve Clegg's men weren't to be denied their place in the draw for the next round though and two Luke Jones strikes put them back in front at 3-2 before substitute Martin Ferrey wrapped up proceedings at 4-2 to Edgehill.

Clegg said: "It was a poor performance from us, but I am happy to not play well and still get the result with a lot of players missing."

Marcus Mockridge was Edgehill's star man at right-back.

Newlands boss Joe Hakings said: "We were the better side until we went 2-1 up, and I think them equalising so quickly knocked us a bit.

"We missed lots of chances and they were more clinical in front of goal than us."

Midfielder Michael Wilson was Newlands' man of the match.

West Pier won 7-0 at Unicorn to progress.

Goals from Neil Thomas and Gary Thomas had Pier 2-0 at half-time, although Neil Thomas also saw a goal scratched out.

Neil Thomas then grabbed his second after the break and a Sean Exley double made it 5-0 before a Graeme Reid strike and a penalty from keeper Scott Wardman rounded off a 7-0 win for Andy Spivey's side, for whom Sam Garnett was star man.

Callum Myers smashed in 11 goals as Itis Itis Rovers battered struggling Old Vic 25-0.

In addition to man of the match Myers making it to double figures, Sean Bloom and Ali Jones both helped themselves to hat-tricks and Josh Young hit a brace.

Their other goals came from Liam Buglass, Liam Vasey, Neil Forsyth, Ben Bradley and a penalty from keeper Matthew Walpole.

Seamer also enjoyed comfortable passage to the next round as they hammered The Raj 8-1.

Ricky Greening and Gary Lawton led the way for Tommy Adams' side with two apiece, while their other goals came from the impressive Sam Whitehead, Danny Glendinning, Kris Tate and Connor Myerscough.

Greening and Whitehead were the star men for Seamer, who led 4-1 at the break before extending their advantage after the interval.

A Louis Warley goal was enough to send Hunmanby United into the next round of the East Riding County FA Senior Country Cup after a 1-0 win at home to Dunnington Reserves.

Warley charged down the visiting keeper before robbing him of the ball and tapping in the only goal of the game.

The entire United team defended well and worked hard to take the collective man of the match award.

Goal Sports lost 2-1 at home to Easington United.

Mark Plumpton's side led after 25 minutes when 18-year-old striker Tom Hudson latched onto Tyson Stubbings' through-ball and finished neatly.

Two unanswered second-half goals from the away side secured their place in the draw for the next round as the injury-hit hosts tired.

Right wing-back Brad Parkin was Goal Sports' man of the match.

Flamborough were also dumped out of the competition, losing 4-3 at home to Beverley Town Reserves.

Goals from man of the match Rhys Swift, Georgie Walker and Dale Barcroft weren't enough for Flamborough to seal the victory for the hosts.