Saturday League: Cup reports - Edgehill suffer Challenge Cup semi defeat while Whitby RFC and Filey Reserves make progress

Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill were beaten in their North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup semi-final at Guisborough Globe, while Whitby RFC and Filey Town Reserves both made cup progress.


Guisborough Globe 4 Edgehill 0

Edgehill suffered a 4-0 defeat at Guisborough Globe in the semi-finals of the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup.

Steve Clegg’s men enjoyed the greater share of possession in the first half, but other than two speculative long-range efforts from Ricky Greening, they rarely troubled the Globe goal.

Edgehill suffered a hammer blow just after the break when Globe opened the scoring after their front man latched onto a ball over the top, just beating keeper Martin Cappleman to the ball before finishing well for 1-0.

The away side fell further behind in the 55th minute in controversial circumstances when Cappleman collected on the edge of his area, only for the linesman to flag and indicate to the referee that the keeper was outside his area.

Wasting no time and with the Edgehill players still bemused by the referee’s decision, a Globe player grabbed the ball and tapped into the empty net to make it 2-0, much to the frustration of the Edgehill contingent.

Another mix-up in the Edgehill rearguard handed Globe a third that killed the tie.

Midfielder Dan Jones’ attempted back pass had too much power on it and evaded Cappleman before nestling in the bottom corner.

Edgehill’s misery was compounded late on when Globe hit them on the counter-attack to make it 4-0.

Shaun Dodson put in a decent performance for Edgehill.

Globe meet Staithes Athletic in the final after they beat Richmond Town Reserves 3-1 at home in the other semi-final last week.


Whitby Fishermen 0 Filey Town Reserves 2 (Howard 2)

Filey Town Reserves pulled off the shock result of the day as the division two strugglers beat top flight Whitby Fishermen’s Society to move into the last four of the Coastal Shellfish League Cup.

They owed a lot to their keeper Jonny Hunter, who pulled off a host of superb saves to keep his side in the contest, including a penalty save after 70 minutes of a tense cup tie.

With the game heading towards extra-time, Town Reserves’ Aaron Howard turned the game on its head with goals in the 88th and 92nd minutes to hand Dan Kempson’s men the win and a place in the last four of the competition.


Whitby RUFC 5 (Jobling 2, Usher, Welham, Ross) Athletico2B 1 (Goodwin)

Whitby RFC set up a League Trophy final clash against Newlands Reserves or United Sports Bar with a comprehensive 5-1 win against Athletico2B.

Steve Mothersdale’s men led 2-0 at the break after Dave Welham’s thumping 30-yard free-kick and Paul Jobling’s tap-in.

The away side hit back straight after the break through Shaun Goodwin to give themselves hope of a second-half turnaround, but the home side hit straight back through Jobling’s second.

Steve Ross’ first-time effort made it 4-1 before Marc Usher got on the end of Ben Hoggarth’s sliderule pass to round the scoring off.

Mothersdale singled out midfielder David Swales, while Athletico boss Nick David picked out Ross Kevan as his side’s only decent performer on a lacklustre afternoon for the away side.

Whitby boss Mothersdale said: “We’re over the moon to be in a final.

“We took them to pieces really, it could have been more.

“We can’t wait for the final now, it’ll be a great night.”